Macrons - How to write them?

By maximilianus, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Apr 14, 2009.

1. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Salvete Omnes!

I have this issue about typing macrons. If I want to include for example an ā I can do it only by pressing ALT+0257 in, let's say, MS Word and after that copy and paste it here, but when I type ALT+0257 on any web browser text box I get absolutely nothing at all.

Any clue?
  2. Chamaeleo New Member

Ah well, the secret is to stop using that crappy operating system known as MS Windows, and install Ubuntu instead. Shift + AltGr + 3 produces a macron. ĀĒĪŌŪȲāēīōūȳ. :lol: :dancing:

If macrons are too hard to type, then bear in mind that the Romans actually used acute accents, not macrons. If you can type Spanish, you can type Latin: ÁÉÍÓÚÝáéíóúý. 8)
  3. os draconis New Member

Salve, maximilianus! web browser solutionis nōn habeō, but I can suggest a shortcut in Word: create five autocorrect entries (Tools, Autocorrect) with a1 or a*, e1 or e*, etc. on the left for each vowel, pasting the versions with macrons on the right from online text or the Insert Symbols menu or whatever (I do this to get Mandarin tone marks and Spanish accents too). Then, when typing in Word you don't have to remember god-awful ALT+ whatever numbers for each macron; you just type, say, d o* + space or punctuation to trigger the conversion, then back up to remove the spaces; or if you type a particular word a lot, program it in as the whole word, do*. I did this for a thousand syllables in Mandarin, so I can type Hanyu Pinyin with tone marks now.
  4. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Thank you very much for the tips CHAMÆLEO. I will consider all this.
    Just one more question, Ý and ý are part of the Latin alphabet? (I apologize for my ignorance; I've never seen them before)
  5. Chamaeleo New Member

Apart from being used in Welsh, Turkmen, Faroese and Icelandic, Ý can be found in Roman inscriptions, alongside ÁÉÍÓÚ. Actually, that last one should a V with an accent on it, but I can't type that. An example of a word with a long Y in it is HÝDRA, according to my dictionary.

In fact, the vowel that you normally do not find the accent on is I. Most of the time, an extra-tall I (“I longa”) was used. I can't type that (unless we count J as a long I), so I use “Í” instead.
  6. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Thank you so much for your suggestion, draconis. I've already tested it and works like a charm. So you say you speak my mother tongue too? (I mean Spanish)
  7. Chamaeleo New Member

Sounds tedious. I can type 汉语拼音 Hànyǔ Pīnyīn tone marks into any window at any time, here on Ubuntu. :D 8)
  8. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Thanks for such detailed clarification. You must be quite a linguist I figure.
  9. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    1. First, one can use Latvian layout. It has some defects (e.g. o with a macron is not available), but I'll attach a file containing refined layout (you just have to run it; afterwards you can delete the layout if you want to). So as not to switch between English, Latvian (and perhaps other) layouts you can use Latvian instead of English, it's pretty much the same.

2. One can make own layouts with the help of
    http://www.klm32.com
    or Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. I tried the first program but the free lite version doesn't permit to create dead keys (the thing I wanted).

When I'm making a big Word document with macrons I type acutes and then run a simple macro that changes "acuted" vowels into "macroned" ones. By the way, in Word acutes may be obtained as follows: Ctrl + ', <vowel>. Of course, sometimes I use the programme that is called "the symbol map" in Russian Windows.

Attached Files:

10. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Thank you for your contribution Quasus. Sorry for my ignorance but I have to make a couple questions:

1 - This Latvian layout defines some keyboard shortcut to get the macrons written?
    2 - What would be a dead key?

By the way there's a specific key to get acutes, at the left of the Enter key, but only on Spanish keyboards. I mention this in case somebody stumbles upon a Spanish keyboard and wants to write an acute, either á or à (two different keys).

Thanks again for the attachment. Very much appreciated
  11. Chamaeleo New Member

12. os draconis New Member

Aye. I'm half Mexican, but didn't learn Spanish until I was a teenager, when we lived in Monterrey for 5 years due to a job transfer. It's fluent, although flawed, just like my Mandarin. Where are you from?

Yeah, that's a better solution, but I created mine before Ubuntu came out. Also, not everyone can run Ubuntu, e.g. those stuck all day on a tightly controlled corporate computer system. Furthermore, the Autocorrect file which is created can also contain countless other valuable customizations, such as being able to churn out your address by typing add*, and so on.
  13. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Sorry, I should have provided a minimal explanation. :oops:

You press Alt Gr + a, i, o, u to obtain letters with macrons, and Alt Gr + Shift + a, i, o, u to obtain capitals with macrons. I have problems with Alt Gr + Shift + i / o, but other people don't. If you will have problems as well, let me know, I'll ask another man.

Generally, I don't like these Alt Gr combinations because they are not convenient when touch-typing. I'd better have e.g. Ctrl + ' as a dead key (like ' is in the Spanish layout), but then obviously I have to look into the MKLS.
  14. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Sorry, I should have provided a minimal explanation. :oops:

You press Alt Gr + a, i, o, u to obtain letters with macrons, and Alt Gr + Shift + a, i, o, u to obtain capitals with macrons. I have problems with Alt Gr + Shift + i / o, but other people don't. If you will have problems as well, let me know, I'll ask a certain other man for the DLL.

Generally, I don't like these Alt Gr combinations because they are not convenient when touch-typing. I'd better have e.g. Ctrl + ' as a dead key (like ' is in the Spanish layout), but then obviously I have to look into the MKLS.
  15. Decimvs Aedilis

• Aedilis
    What does one do if they are constantly using all sorts of different computers in different places?

Is there a quick, easy, universal way to apply basic macrons in WinXP and OSX, using Firefox?
  16. Chamaeleo New Member

You could give EasyAccent a go. I haven't tried it myself.
  17. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Thank you for the Wikipedia links CHAMÆLEO. Here where I am a combination of keystrokes, like that of the Ctrl key plus something else, is simply called a keyboard shortcut. I didn't know the correct technical term is dead key (or at least I never heard of it). This forum is great. One can learn a lot from just a single post. :D :applause:
  18. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Ita vero.
  19. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I was born in San Juan, a province in the west of Argentina. If you feel like chatting to practice your Spanish I am at AIM as MaximilianusMC (not always there, but often). May I ask about your other half?

Yes, unfortunately not everyone can choose which OS to work with, so I guess the slaves of the status quo have to get a hold on whatever alternative solution we can come across with. ;)
  20. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    No need to be sorry; conversation sets it all clear. :)
    If I run into any trouble, I shall tell you. :)