Macrons - How to write them?

By maximilianus, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Apr 14, 2009.

1. os draconis New Member

Well, again this is not a cross-application solution, but if one does the simple Autocorrect programming in Word for just the five vowels, it only takes 2 minutes, so one can do it once on each computer and save it. One can also run a search for the most recent *.acl file (be sure to select options to look in system folders and look for hidden files), then copy that acl file over to the other computer and put it in the right folder. I realize this probably isn't the solution you want, but since I've mentioned this solution, I thought I'd add info about transferring it between computers for anyone who is interested. It's not hard, even for tech dummies like me.

Unfortunately I can't load chat software due to severe corporate restrictions. My mom's from Florida. They're retired to Celaya, Guanajuato, Mexico, so my trips 'home' are now to Mexico. I thus have incentive to improve my Spanish. I just read the Harry Potter series, and am now turning to slightly more mature stuff. I find that studying Latin will help my Spanish a bit -- it enlightens me as to where words like yacer come from, and the close connections between the two languages are a never-ending source of fascination for me!
  2. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    This is quite a good tip to save work. Much appreciated draconis.

QUIT AND GET A BETTER JOB!! (LOL) :D :D :D

Go ahead and GOOD LUCK! Spanish is a very beautiful tongue and it's worth the effort. Some say it is hard to master, but in the end... what language isn't? ;)

Well then. It's evident from where Spanish takes after, isn't it? :)
  3. paruos Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I miss the macrons. When I really need them, I'll have to use the "´" ... :(
    It's bad, though, because I'd like to use "´" to mark tonic syllables.

But I'll do as it's easier. I'm not a "computerling" ... (Actually, whenever the computer can kill me, he does easily! I'd be dead before departure with HALL 9000.) :wondering:
  4. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    I wanted to use macrons, but it is much easier to use ctrl+'+(a vowel), since most computer keyboards do not allow for easy typing of letters with macrons. In fact, as mentioned earlier, Romans in fact did very much the same.
  5. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    They used apices and macrons interchangeably?
  6. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Nope. One or the other (for practical reasons).
  7. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    I thought they used both to mark long vowels. Read the wikipedia article on the apex.
  8. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Only in modern times apices and macrons are both used, as shown in Wheelock's Latin, but not in some other works. During the times of the Romans, only apices were used.
  9. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    You're right. Wikipedia's article on the macron says: "Though many ancient Roman and Greek textbooks employ the macron, it was not used in ancient Rome or Greece. The macron is to make reading a word easier."

So the apex was used instead, whereas today both are used, yet the macron is preferred. There was a discussion on this earlier, though. Thread name: accent mark question.
  10. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    You'd better become one. The war against the machines is coming closer, and only computerlings are gonna survive it. :D
  11. Chamaeleo New Member

I don't think anyone is saying that.
  12. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    It doesn't really make a difference which diacritic we use, as long as we know which vowels are long, right? Let's put it bluntly -- the ancients used the apices, we moderns use macrons (for the most part), but apices aren't ruled out. Period. :D
  13. Chamaeleo New Member

14. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
  15. eshapard New Member

Looks like no one's added to this thread in a long time. :shifty:

Most of the macron-writing solutions out there involve pressing an alt key either before, or while pressing a vowel key. I find the alt key kind of a pain to type, so I came up with my own method that uses text replacement. I type the vowel followed by a '-' and it gets replaced with the macroned vowel.

I've got this working on Linux and Windows.

Another benefit to this system is that you don't have to change your keyboard layout if you use a non-standard layout such as Dvorak or Colemak. I use Dvorak.

If you're interested in trying this out, I wrote an article about it on my site where I also offer a small windows program that does this for you.http://edwardshapard.com/. Just search for macron and you'll find it.
  16. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    +100500

I use the following AutoHotkey script:
    Code:
    :*?C:a/::ā
    :*?C:e/::ē
    :*?C:i/::ī
    :*?C:o/::ō
    :*?C:u/::ū
    :*?C:y/::̄y
    :*?C:A/::Ā
    :*?C:E/::Ē
    :*?C:I/::Ī
    :*?C:O/::Ō
    :*?C:U/::Ū
    :*?C:Y/::̄Y
    :*?C:a]::ă
    :*?C:e]::ĕ
    :*?C:i]::ĭ
    :*?C:o]::ŏ
    :*?C:u]::ŭ
    :*?C:A]::Ă
    :*?C:E]::Ĕ
    :*?C:I]::Ĭ
    :*?C:O]::Ŏ
    :*?C:U]::Ŭ
    :*?C:a[::ä
    :*?C:e[::ë
    :*?C:i[::ï
    :*?C:o[::ö
    :*?C:u[::ü
    :*?C:A[::Ä
    :*?C:E[::Ë
    :*?C:I[::Ï
    :*?C:O[::Ö
    :*?C:U[::Ü

:*?C:s[::ß

:*?C:ae<::æ
    :*?C:Ae<::Æ
    :*?C:oe<::œ
    :*?C:Oe<::Œ

#Esc::Suspend

(in fact, I use a slightly modified script integrated into my language support, but it doesn’t matter). Actually it is a list of autoreplaces. I use the slash and the brackets as modifiers. The script can be ‘paused’ with Win+Esc, and the same hotkey resumes it’s work. One can handle it with the context menu as well.

I see no reason not to install AutoHotkey, which is a very valuable tool, but I’ll upload the compiled script (you just have to run it.)

Attached Files:

17. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    eshapard, I just hadn’t noticed the key word ‘AHK’ in the description on your site! :banana:
  18. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    BTW, eshapard, what if you use ‘=’ instead of ‘-’? They are situated nearby, but the equal sign is never needed in the text.

Have you ever considered an AHK script for smart ſ’s and Renaissance-style Latin? It would be cool if pressing ‘s’ resulted in ‘ſ’ and the latter turned to ‘s’ at the end of a word (or at least ſ: ⇒ s, if we want it to be like TeX). Yet not only I’ve failed to create such a script, but I think that it just can’t be implemented by means of autoreplace. A modified layout could help, but I had certain problems with them… I finished with a transliteration tool, but it was an essentially different solution.
  19. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    What if, for a start, S automatically defaulted to long S, unless followed by a space, comma or period? Can the script not work with spaces?
  20. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Yes, it can handle any symbol, but the root of the problem is the word ‘unless’. It’s extremely difficult to trace the keystroke history with AHK. This may be be a reflection of the rerum natura: actually keystroke history is a subtle thing, since keystrokes can go to different windows or be interrupted by mouse clicks, etc.

My first thought was to declare autoreplaces like
    ::sa::ſa
    bui it fails for cauſâ, since ‘a’ can’t be a part of an autoreplace sequence once it has been obtained by an autoreplace.

Perhaps another design of the layout is a better decision. For example, for typing huge chunks of ſ’d Latin one could simply set
    ::k::ſ

Another solution is to use MSKLC and make a layout such that pressing ‘s’ produces ſ, and then add some smartness with AHK:
    ſ.::s.
    etc. I tried this approach, but for some reason two versions of English layout tended to confuse. :noclue: Finally I decided I don’t need so much ſ’s actually; now I occasionally produce it with one of my standard autoreplaces.