Manico-melancolicus

By Nic, in 'Latin to English Translation', Jul 12, 2019.

1. Nic New Member

Manico-melancolicus is a medical term introduced in 1686 by the famous Swiss physician Théophile Bonet. I've also seen the spelling manico-melancholicus. It's an early term for manic depression, or bipolar disorder as it's known today. Unfortunately, the original text is, as far as I know, not available online.

Is this correct Latin? Correct or incorrect, what is the best English translation? "Manic melancholia" or "melancholic mania"? Or perhaps something else?
    Gregorius Textor likes this.
  2. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It should be translated as an adjective:
    manic-depressive
    (or in slightly more modern terminology: bipolar)
    Gregorius Textor likes this.
  3. Nic New Member

Ah, I see. Makes sense. Thank you!
  4. Hemo Rusticus Tom Bombadillo

• Civis Illustris
    Perfectly correct within a medical context. The Greeks were slightly more apt to this kind of formation than the Romans, but then the Romans were willing to do most anything the Greeks did. The form manico-melancholicus follows the Greek more closely (& is more 'correct', if you will).
    Last edited by Hemo Rusticus, Jul 15, 2019
    Gregorius Textor and Bitmap like this.
  5. Hemo Rusticus Tom Bombadillo

• Civis Illustris
    *NB: I understand perfectly well that this is not an antique term, but the above is still true.