Melissa

By rothbard, in 'Reading Latin', Jan 16, 2018.

1. rothbard Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I just found out about this magazine, called Melissa, written entirely in Latin. Does anyone know if it is still being published? Earlier today I wrote to the email address on the website but I haven't received a reply yet.
  2. rothbard Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Yesterday the site owner replied to my email and offered to send me a complimentary issue.
    Terry S. likes this.
  3. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris
    So it's still alive then. I had heard of it years ago, but didn't know whether it had died a death since. Alas, it's still above my standard...
  4. rothbard Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Having received the complimentary copy and liked it, I took out a subscription and ordered the back issues of the past couple of years. I have been reading them while having lunch at work lately.

The last issue (201) includes two articles by Gaius Licoppe on refugees and the history of the Carthaginians, respectively, an article on euthanasia with long quotes by Francis Bacon and Thomas More, and a translation of one of Hemingway's short stories. The Latin doesn't seem to be very difficult, actually.
    Terry S. likes this.
  5. Big Horn Member

It's apparently still being published as the last issue (203) shows a date of April, 2018.

http://www.fundatiomelissa.org/fundatiomelissa/Periodicum.html