mercēs ad diem

By Maximus VII, in 'Latin Beginners', Apr 18, 2018.

1. Maximus VII Member

Hello,

The colonī were the tenant farmers of classical times. I'm trying to translate the highlighted mercēdem ad diem. The sense of it is "farm rent" but literally it seems to mean "reward by the day". Surely tenant farmers would not have rented their farms one day at a time, the rest of the passage implies that quarterly payments would be more likely

mercēdem ad diem.png

Any thoughts on translating this term would be most welcome.
  2. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    I think it's saying they would make their payments "on time" (ad diem). And the quidam colonus right after this has failed to do so (multiple times).
  3. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Yeah, ad diem is an idiom for "on time". Note also that prepositional phrases generally go with verbs rather than nouns in Latin, so ad diem should be taken with solvere rather than mercedem.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    The ablative form absenti strikes me as unusual. I guess it might be attested somewhere but I'm used to seeing absente.
  5. Maximus VII Member

Thank you very much
  6. Is it used to relay the idea of being on time for a certain date, or on time in general? That is, can I use it, for example, to translate a sentence "Marcus did not get up on time because Davus did not wake him up" --> "Mārcus ad diem nōn surgēbat quia Dāvus eum nōn excitābat"?
  7. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It means on time as in "on a certain date/day ---> diem".
    Siegfried Zaytsev likes this.