Mussolini liked Latin too

By Etaoin Shrdlu, in 'Latin Culture', Sep 1, 2016.

1. Etaoin Shrdlu Imminent wormfood

• Civis Illustris
    Pacifica likes this.
  2. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Just regarding the title of this thread. He would like Latin though, he was a fascist after all.
  3. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    I can see about eight pages of it on Amazon.
  4. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Mussolini once said that he wanted to recreate the Roman Empire. It's not surprising that he was obsessed with Latin at all.
    Hawkwood likes this.
  5. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    The word 'fascist' has been manipulated, used and abused by so many for so long that it's hard to get to the bottom of it nowadays.
  6. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Merely an Italian wanting a bit of living space.

I'd say that's probably the best definition of a fascist you're going to get, if I say so myself.
    Iohannes Aurum likes this.
  7. AndrewEarthrise Member

[IMG]

HVNC LOCVM VBI AUGVSTI MANES VOLITANT PER AVRAS
    POSTQVAM IMPERATORIS MAVSOLEVM EX SAECVLORVM TENEBRIS
    EST EXTRACTVM ARAEQVE PACIS DISIECTA MEMBRA REFECTA/
    MVSSOLINI DVX VETERIBVS ANGVSTIIS DELETIS SPLENDIDIORIBVS
    VIIS AEDIFICIIS AEDIBVS AD HVMANITATIS MORES APTIS
    ORNANDVM CENSVIT ANNO MDCCCCXL A F. R. XVIII
    Last edited by AndrewEarthrise, Apr 6, 2017
    Hawkwood likes this.
  8. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Nike either end holding Fasces? What building is this and do you have a translation of the text?
  9. AndrewEarthrise Member

Sure do!
    This place where the remains of Augustus glide along the breeze, after the emperor's mausoleum had been extracted out of the shadows of the centuries, and the dejected pieces of the alter of peace remade,
    Mussolini the Dux (il duce) decreed for the purpose of adorning to the customs of apt humanity, by the old narrow streets destroyed, for splendider streets, buildings, shrines, in the year 1940 A Fascibus Restitutis 18.
    Hawkwood likes this.
  10. Laurentius Calvus Palliatus

• Civis Illustris
    The translation doesn't seem so right to me, where did you find it?
  11. Theodosius M. Lepus New Member

Odio audire cluentem sermonem latinum cum insuccessis historiae quotidianae associatum esse.
    Romani deriderent dictatorem sine utendo militari.
  12. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Some parts of this are not right. It's more accurately translated (very literally) as: "Mussolini the Dux/leader decreed that this place, where the spirits of Augustus fly through the air, after the emperor's mausoleum was extracted/removed from the shadows of the centuries, and the scattered remains of the altar of piece were remade/put back together, had to be adorned/decorated, with the old narrow streets destroyed, by more splendid streets, buildings, and shrines, suitable to the customs of humanity..."

"the customs of humanity" is a kind of awkward translation, but I can't really think of much better. I'm not great at translating into idiomatic/natural English. "humanitas" seems to convey ideas of elegance or refinement/culture.
    Hawkwood likes this.