My brother's keeper

By thoreau919, in 'English to Latin Translation', Nov 11, 2010.

1. thoreau919 New Member

Hi guys! I used the search function and came up with a few things that were close, but wanted to post just to make sure (I don't want the full phrase of "i am my brother's keeper"):

My brother's keeper: "custos fratris" (i read that it can be made more concise by omitting "mei sum")

Also, is "my brother" just: "Frater meus"? (I am a male)

My brother and I are getting matching tattoos on Sunday, so any help before then would be phenomenal. Thanks again guys and girls, much appreciated!
  2. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Consul
    Custos fratris mei is indeed correct, and "mei" (my) can be omitted. Sum means "I am", or "am I" as the case may be.

And yes, frater meus is "my brother". Meus changes based on frater, not the speaker's gender.
  3. thoreau919 New Member

Thanks for the response Nikolaos! Can anyone second the accuracy of the translations? Sorry to be anal, but just doing my due diligence as this will be on my body forever. Thanks again everyone!
  4. scrabulista Praetor

• Praetor
    custos fratris mei sum - right out of the Vulgate, Genesis 4:9. You could go with custos fratris.
  5. thoreau919 New Member

Awesome, thanks guys so much for all the help. Have a great rest of the weekend!