Tattoo my strength comes from heaven

By mlai, in 'English to Latin Translation', Jul 28, 2010.

1. mlai New Member

HI,

Could you help me with the translation on "My strength comes from heaven" and also "My strength is from heaven"... It means alot to me and i will be getting it tattooed so please let me know the best translations as i have found a few different ones but am not sure which is correct or the most accurate :D
  2. Tacitus Arctous Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    One could be:

"Firmitas, quae (intus) in me est, (a) caelo oritur"

or

"Firmitas mea (a) caelo oritur"

You can omit the words bracketed if you want.
  3. mlai New Member

Thanks so much for your reply and time. It seems i'm going to be getting different translation all the time lol The one's i have seen the most has been Caelitus Mihi Vires, Vires meae a caelo venit and also Vis mea est caelo, what are you options on these? Thanks again for your time
  4. Tacitus Arctous Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Sounds awful especially the first one. "Vires" is usually translated as physical strength, although the singular "vis" could be possible.
    When I used "firmitas", I thought of steadfastness, firm in belief.
  5. Imber Ranae Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Other than that vis would here be preferable to vires, I don't see what's so objectionable about the first one. The ecclesiastical caelitus? If we assume a Christian context, as seems likely, it presents no problem.

Cf. this verse from Vergil's Georgics, which uses the classical equivalent divinitus in nearly the same fashion:

• Not, I deem,
      That heaven some native wit to these assigned,
      Or fate a larger prescience...
  6. Tacitus Arctous Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Yes it is about choosing words. I just do not use ecclesiastical terms much.
    Divinitus would be the word I choose between those two. But it is good that we get here different versions.