Negative Imperatives in Latin..

By Hermes Trismegistus, in 'Latin Grammar Questions', Dec 29, 2018.

1. Hermes Trismegistus Member

How to make negative imperatives in Latin? ..I know we can use Noli(te) + infinitive, what about Ne?

Noli(te) currere!
    Noli(ite) id facere!

Ne??
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    ne can be used with the perfect subjunctive, like ne quaesieris for "don't ask". More rarely it can be used with the present subjunctive.
    In more formal legal proclamations, etc., ne can be used with the future imperative (ne sternito).
    In poetry and rarely in prose, ne can be used with a present imperative (ne timete).
    parce, mitte, fuge, can all be used like noli with slightly different senses to express negative commands.
    cave can be used with a present subjunctive, with the literal meaning "be careful not to...". In this case, ne is implied. cave cadas = cave ne cadas. Once in Apuleius, if I remember correctly, cave is used with a present subjunctive to mean "be careful to..." (the opposite meaning). But this is not the regular use.
    Hermes Trismegistus likes this.
  3. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Here is a summary of an essay I once wrote on prohibitions.
    Hermes Trismegistus likes this.