Inspirational Never Settle

By Bryan, in 'English to Latin Translation', Nov 5, 2006.

1. Bryan New Member

I've been looking all over for the appropriate way to word or phrase this in latin and I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I need the phrase "Never Settle", in the context of never be happy with where you are at or accept less than what you deserve or are capable.

Can anyone lend a quick hand or recommend a decently priced translation service that could?

Thanks very much!

Bry
  2. Bryan New Member

UPDATE: I've since introduced myself in the introduction forum, sorry if I've offended anyone! I really appreciate everyones service and dedication to helping the not-so-Latin savvy! Again any help anyone can pass along is greated appreciated, I only wish there was something I could do in return!

Bry
  3. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    My initial thought was numquam cede - "never yield", and I stand by that, but then I thought about it some more and wonder if there is a better choice. "Settle" is a difficult word here, and it may help to take a closer look at the word in context.

"Settle", of course, generally means to get into an idle place/state (e.g. sediment settling at the bottom of a pond, encouraging a raving person to settle down). It is often abstractly applied, and I think with respect to something contentious "settling" simply means you'll take up an idle state (i.e. you will no longer contend over the matter) in exchange for X. THis is what makes it somewhat pejorative: You are only accepting X because you no longer wish to fight about it, rather than because it is what you really want.

I think this notion is best captured by the Latin verb reside. I like this somewhat better than cede because cede is more like "give up, submit", which I think is a little different that what the OP wanted. Sede also isn't quite right; this is more like "remain stationary", whereas reside is more like "become stationary (again)".

So, to wrap up a lengthy post, I vote for Numquam Reside!, but also see Numquam Cede as a good possibility.

Any other thoughts?[/quote]
  4. Bryan New Member

Thanks for your input! That's exactly the meaning/context I was looking for. I think I'll go with Numquam Reside, but just out of curiousity, why is it so hard to find "reside" in the latin dictionary online? Thanks again for the help!!

Bry
  5. QMF Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Reside is the imperative form, and dictionaries sort by the principal parts, which are the following: present first person singular active indicative, present infinitive, perfect first person singular active indicative, perfect first person singular passive indicative. For example, for the verb amare (which I assume you are familiar with) they are: amo, amare, amavi, amatus sum. As an early Latin student your teacher (assuming you are learning via formal education rather than online or out of a book) will be teaching you these early on, so that you can find verbs in the dictionary.
    Also, there is an issue with the use of the word reside, because it is the imperative form of two verbs: risideo and resido, which can be found here: http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?stem=resid&ending= The meanings are slightly different, which will probably make a little confusion or at least ambiguity.
  6. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    rEsideo and resido, I think. The first imperatives of the two are not, I believe, quite the same, as the i in the first is short, while that in the second is long, and the second e in the first is long, while that in the second is short.

So while they are pronounced differently, I think QMF is right in pointing out that they are spelt identically (reside), potentially introducing some ambiguity.
  7. Bryan New Member

Which is fine since the tatto will be a reminder for me and only me in the end. So the correct phrase is "Numquam Reside" but reside the imperitive form of two different words is what you're saying? I get it. Thanks for all the replies!!

Bry

EDIT: Also you mentioned pronounciation, how would the phrase be pronounced if you don't mind?
  8. QMF Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Hard to really explain Latin pronunciation...but again there is pronunciation variation depending on which form you want. Go to the link I provided and choose which one you want and I'll try to phonetically give pronunciation.
  9. Bryan New Member

The meaning is probably closer to resideo, please :mrgreen:

Bry
  10. Bryan New Member

bump :hugegrin:
  11. QMF Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Noon-kwom reh-si-day.
    The "si" is as in sit.
    The "day" sound is long in English, and in the case of the resideo version, it is long Latin.
  12. Bryan New Member

Thanks alot! Just curious: I've seen Never spelled both Numquam and Nunquam. What's the difference and why is Numquam right in this instance? Also, why is Numquam pronounced 'noon'-'kuam' instead of 'noom'-'kuam'?

Sorry for so many questions but this is going to be on me perminently ;)

Thanks!

Bryan
  13. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    There is no difference in meaning between numquam and nunquam; they were used interchangeably by the Romans. Other words with -mq have a similarly ambiguous orthography (e.g. tamquam/tanquam).

Numquam (with the m) seems to prevail before the time of Augustus, and the word seems (as in English) to be a contraction of ne umquam = "not ever") so "m" is probably the original letter. Cf. the common English vs. American spellings of "centre/center", though this case isn't even that severe.
  14. Marius Magnus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    In actual speech it would have been pronounced "noong-kwam". "m-k" is very unstable, phonetically speaking.