Never Stop Learning

By NotTooClever, in 'English to Latin Translation', Apr 26, 2011.

1. NotTooClever New Member

Hi- thank you so much first of all for reading my post! I'm an "author"- which roughly translates as a bum who's stretching out his college years as long as possible- and I have a theoretical family whose motto would be "never stop learning", or, possibly, Any other interesting combination of an emphatic desire and some word meaning learning, striving, experimenting, changing, etc. I know it's a lot to ask, but if you would post a couple possible phrases that would work, I would be FOREVER grateful.

To review, the phrase I'm hoping to get is an emphatic way to say I (or we) Never (Or another emphatic) Stop Learning (Or striving, changing, experimenting- could work) I hope I'm as clear and rule following as possible!

thanks Again- Tyler
  2. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Noli umquam discere desinere
  3. Travis New Member

These are all ways to say, "Never stop learning":

Noli desistere discere
    Noli desistere discendo
    Ne desistas discere
    Ne desistas discendo
  4. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I don't quite understand the need of adding wrong suggestions to an answer that is perfectly fine, already.
  5. Travis New Member

How is that wrong? Why can't a gerund used as an ablative of separation work here? I've seen such constructions before.
  6. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    desistere + infinitive
  7. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Consul
    I'm curious as well. Is it just that the ablative may only be used for nouns and attributes with desistere?
  8. Imber Ranae Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Would you care to cite?

Edited to fix quote attribution.
  9. Imber Ranae Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    In general Latin doesn't use the gerund or gerundive as freely as it uses regular nouns as substantives. The infinitive tends to be used instead in many of these situations, or else a true verbal noun like cognitio.

I'm still open to the possibility that he has a legitimate citation of this usage, however.