Inspirational No Regrets

By Iynx, in 'English to Latin Translation', Jun 30, 2006.

1. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    I have received a PM seeking a Latin translation of the English phrase "No regrets". I am starting a thread on the subject because I feel sure we can do better communally than I can do alone.

The closest I can come to a literal, word-for-word translation would be:

Nullae paenitentiae

But the singular, Nulla paenitentia, might be more idiomatic.

Or perhaps one could render the idea as an infinitive

Numquam paenitentiam agere

literally "never to be sorry", or "never to do penance".

Other views?
  2. fugit_tempus New Member

Here's one that rolls off the tongue a little easier:

nullum desiderium

And a different way of putting it which nevertheless captures the pure simplicity of the english phrase:

nihil paeniteo
  3. fugit_tempus New Member

also, Iynx, I think for your proposal above, these regrets should be in the accusative, as they are still the object even if the subject is omitted, so perhaps:

Nullam paenitentiam
  4. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    I really like nihil paeniteo, fugit_tempus, which for the benefit of the enquirer we should perhaps say means "I regret nothing"; I think it may be the best suggestion so far.

But I would defend my nominative nulla paenitentia, pointing out that not only is an expressed subject lacking here, but an expressed verb as wll. The phrase could (I grant) be a shortening of something like Nullam paentitentiam habeo. But it could equally well represent something like Nulla paenitentia in corde meo tenetur. More pertinently, guiding principles (which I take this to be) are commonly expressed, in mottoes and the like, in the nominative, for example:

animus et prudentia
    ars gratia artis
    aut mors aut victoria

I do not say that your accusative is wrong, but I hope I may politely maintain that my nominative is at least as correct.
  5. fugit_tempus New Member

Yes, I think you're right about that Iynx. I wasn't thinking clearly when I wrote that, and now begin to wonder if, in this case, the acussative is correct as well as the nominative. Perhaps someone out there who knows for sure can inform us.
  6. soli7aire New Member

been searching the internet for months on the correct translation of 'no regrets' to latin because clearly i don't wanna regret an incorrect translation on my tattoo,
    is it nullum desiderium
    Nulla paenitentia
    Non paenitet
  7. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Can you give a bit of context, please?
  8. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
  9. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I don't have a particularly good feeling about most translations given above. But the best is, first, to answer Callaina's question.
  10. syntaxianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Nil dolendum. = Nothing is to be lamented. Do not lament anything.
    I regret, grieve over, sorrow over nothing. = Nihil doleo.
    Me nihil dolente = With me grieving over nothing. (An ablative absolute.)
  11. syntaxianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Also possible, an ablative absolute:

Nullis causis dolendis.

= With no things / reasons / issues to suffer grief over. = No regrets.

Causis could be omitted to make it shorter.

I suppose the neuter plural is possible too, though more vague (and not an ablative absolute):

Nulla dolenda.

= There are no things to be grieved over.

I do not like this so much because it can also mean "There are no things that you should ever suffer grief over." (A general maxim for living.) Of course someone might interpret the original phrase this way:

No regrets. = Do not allow any regrets to come into your life.

In that case, nulla dolenda fits.