non omnia vagantes deerrant

By vac5, in 'Latin to English Translation', Jun 26, 2011.

1. vac5 New Member

hey everyone,

i was just wondering if someone could confirm for me that this is the proper translation for
    "not all those who wander are lost"

thanks very much in advance!
    ~victoria
  2. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    There is a grammatical error in 'omnia'. The rest is good enough to convey the sense required (though I might -- might -- think about changing the tense of deerrant).
  3. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    ... on second thoughts, I wouldn't change deerrant.
  4. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    "Not everything that wanders wanders"?
  5. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Exactly. The two verbs are too similar to make sense.
  6. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Even so, that should be omnes, right? I think she meant people rather than things.
  7. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris
    I'm not sure where you got the omnia version. It doesn't appear anywhere on the Internet except this very thread, whereas the version with omnes seems to be quoted a lot. Anyway, this has come up before.

More like "not everything who wanders..." It's ungrammatical.

Well, if it were just erro, perhaps, but I think the de (or ab) element makes the difference clear. I suppose you could gloss it as "not everyone who wanders wanders off/away". With the perfect tense it's even clearer. Otherwise I suppose you could use Bitmap's suggestion in the other thread.