Nos Reserare Valemus

By Issacus Divus, in 'Latin to English Translation', Mar 30, 2019.

1. This was the very first request that comes up on this site in the Latin-to-English Translation thread.
    What was this?
    It was never surely translated.
    I wanted it to come up for discussion, so I put it here.
    Please give an accurate translation, if thoust can.

Praise Our Solhos and all that. Heil the Diety.

"We are able to disclose ourselves" was given at first.

Actually, this could be in the wrong place.

Yeah.
  2. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    You know, you could have written all of that in a single post with a tiny bit of patience or at least by means of the 'edit' button ... but I appreciate how it took you 4 posts to produce that text.

Technical Assistant Edit: merged posts

Anyway, without any real context, I would understand the phrase to mean something like "we are able to unlock/lay open/disclose"

In the meaning of "we are able to disclose ourselves", I would actually have expected the Latin to be reserari rather than reserare.
    Last edited by Iohannes Aurum, Mar 31, 2019
  3. Thank you, as always.
    Edit: For that and the translation. I'm patient and all, but I've been busy with other things, so I just check back here from time to time.
    Last edited by Issacus Divus, Mar 31, 2019
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Nos could be the object, though. I think it's ambiguous and I can't be sure, without any context, whether nos is an emphatic subject and the object of reserare is left unmentioned, or whether nos is actually the object of reserare.
    Bitmap and Issacus Divus like this.

5. It's not like we were given much context from the beginning, though.
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I know that...
  7. Well, ok. Thanks for the help.
  8. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thank you for pointing this out ... I feel a tiny bit stupid for not having realised that, but maybe 5 in the morning is not the best time for me to do Latin :)
    Issacus Divus likes this.
  9. I'm very proud to know some people on this site are willing to do that.