1. lionrampant New Member

Thanks for help last time I had a question.

How would you pronounce, Noscitur a sociis. The term is legal latin. Particularly, how is the ii at the end of some words pronounced?
  2. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    Noscitur a sociis - NOH-shee-toor ah SOH-shee-iss = "known by (his/her) associates". Each i of the double i is pronounced.
  3. lionrampant New Member

Thanks. To be certain, how is Commentarii pronounced? Should the final syllables be E-I?
  4. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    The "i" in Latin is pronounced "EE", more like the "i" in French, Spanish, or any of the Romance languages, i.e. like the i in "machine"

Commentarii, then, would sound like "Co-men-Tar-ee-ee", five syllables long.

Please note, however, that some Latin legal terms have developed a pronounciation which is standard by not classical. I'm thinking here of terms like modus operandi or corpus delecti, where the final "i" is pronounced "eye". I would guess, however, that Commentarii is not a common legal term, but you'd know better than I.