Nunc scio quit sit amor

By Anonymous, in 'Latin to English Translation', May 4, 2006.

1. Anonymous Guest

I have found a wonderful phrase in Latin that I want to get egraved in my fiance's wedding band, however, I'm not sure of the accuracy. Any help would be greatly apprecieated!

Nunc scio quit sit amor

Now I know what love is
  2. Jason210 New Member

That's a Virgil quote. It means "Now I know what love is."
  3. Akela dat affluenter

• Princeps Senatus
    @jdhaakenson: good choice.

@Jason10: Do you know what character does the quote belong to? I have a feeling it might be Dido, but I'm not sure..
  4. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    No; it's Virgil indeed, but Eclogue VIII, not the Aeneid (unless the sonofagun used the verse twice, which I wouldn't put past him). The words are put in the mouth of a shepherd (or some such) called Damon. It's line 42 in my Loeb (1935). And (perhaps importantly, if someone is going to engrave it in a ring) it's quid (not quit) sit Amor.
  5. Errans New Member

Whatever you do, make sure it says quid instead of quit. One gets you a kiss; as for the other, well... guess.