Oedipus and the Sphynx.

By root, in 'Latin Culture', Jul 31, 2010.

1. root Member

I'd like to know what were the exact words pronounced by the Sphynx when Oedipus was standing in front of her.
    I remember the Sphynx asked Oedipus to solve a dilemma. If I knew the play, then I'd have half a problem solved. But, on the one hand, Oedipus is in plays by both Sophocles and Aeschylus. And on the other hand, the total number of plays with Oedipus as a character is large. Any suggestion would be welcome. Thanks for reading.

P.S.: I know this is Latin, not Greek chat. But as Latin literature can be regarded, in a certain way and up to a certain degree, an offspring of Greek literature, I dare post in this forum which I consider to be a discovery to have found.
  2. Akela viam inveniam

• Princeps Senatus
    Do you mean "What walks on four feet in the morning, two in the afternoon and three at night?"