On inanimate objects as subjects

By aegor, in 'Latin Grammar Questions', Nov 10, 2017.

1. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Interesting.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    However, the adjective "knowledgeable" doesn't mean "acknowledgeable", so it could still come from the noun.
  3. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    I haven't read all the discussion on rēmōrum mōtū but to me it is a subjective genitive, because the parallel verbal phrase would be "rēmī moventur" where it undeniably is a subject, but if someone wishes a more refined categorization, then you could say the genitive is "patientive", not "agentive" (since in the verbal phrase rēmī are undeniably a patient), while subjective in the same time.

The labels "subjective" and "objective" refer to syntax "what it would be if the head of the noun phrase with a genitive had been a noun" and the syntax is clear. You (@aegor) are more interested in the semantics, and therefore semantic labels as agent or patient need to be utilized.

Just one more thought on neutra as subjects: my general observation (and a rule of thumb while reading) is that neutra will rarely appear e.g. as subjects of transitive nouns (from logical semantic reasons), some exceptions I think of might be forces of nature (like if you wanted to say that a thunderbolt kills, or something of the sort).
    Last edited by Godmy, Jan 12, 2018