Once aupon a time, there were six small kittens...

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', May 12, 2006.

1. Anonymous Guest

I am in desprate need of a latin translation. The translation is not of a small passage, its a few hundred grammar-heavy words. Not scared yet?

The needed translation reads as such:

Once aupon a time, there were six small kittens, an one mother kitten.

Instructed by their mother, The small kittens began to clean themselves
    because they were going to look for supplies.

As the babay kittens marched behind their mother, The smallest kitten (name)
    began to stray.

While wondering around, (name) came across A mole "Hello" said (name),
    "My name is ______" "My name is ______ and I've strayed from my mother,
    can you help me find her please?", asked (name) "Of course" replied (name)
    and off they went searching.

Wondering along the path, (name) and (name) came across a frog. They stopped
    to hear the frog's joke, which was very funny. The frog explained he can't
    help them look because he had to swim.

(name)'s friend (name) appeared to help (name) and (name) out. The dog
    explained that he had found (name)'s family. (name) and (name) dashed off

(name) stopped to ask for directions because he was a little lost.

The dog found the Cat's home. "Thanks" said the cat. The cat ran off.

The mother cat was very happy to see her child.

There was a great feast held and all ate untill there was none left.The end.

Any help is welcome, even if its a single line translated. -Thanks
  2. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    Well, I'll make a start, and then shut up for awhile, hoping we can do this thing collectively.

Semel erant feles parvulae sex, atque feles una, mater eorum.
  3. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    Instructed by their mother, The small kittens began to clean themselves
    because they were going to look for supplies.

Matre docente, coepierunt parvulae sese lavare, nam copias quaersiturae sunt

A few comments:

1. How come I'm doing this all alone? Come on people!
    2. What is this thing we're translating here? I see what the originator meant by "grammar-heavy"-- this has the feel of a school exercise. That last sentence involved (a) an ablative absolute, (b) a trap for the unwary-- a temptation to use incipio in the perfect, which is frowned on by purists, and (c) a future participle active, for heaven's sake.
    3. I think the last time I used a future participle active probably was in a school exercise. Did I get it right this time?
    4. I don't think the reflexive pronoun is strictly necessary here. One could say simply that they began to wash, rather than that they began to wash themselves. But Strunk, White, and Hemingway are all dead. Stet, as the proofreaders say.
  4. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    Oops. Parvulae, not parvuli, I suppose, as the little darlings, being feles, are by default feminine. I've made the change above.

Next line:

Parvulae post matrem incedebant. Parvulissima autem, nominatim Sexta, aberrare incipebat.

Now I am feeling not only lonesome, but more than a little silly. How about a little help with this, amici?
  5. Jason210 New Member

Probably it's because you're doing such a great job! It's a bit advanced for me. I'm ok with one-liners but this stuff is beyond me - I'd just be guessing.
  6. Jason210 New Member

Ok, here's my attempt:

"While wandering around, he came across a mole"

I wonder if you can use the gerund for wandering?

Inter vagandum. - during "the act of wandering"

Then "he came across". I see the transitive form of the verb offendere can be used. Mole is talpa.

talpam offendit

I'm not sure about the perfect 3rd person form of offendere, since it seems to be the same as the present. But, anyway, I would venture this.

Inter vagandum, talpam offendit.

Let me know if it sounds ok..
  7. Anika New Member

The Perfect form of "offendere" is like the Present, I'm pretty sure it is correct.
    On the use of the gerund: It sounds great and it is possibly correct, but to be 100% sure I, personally, would use "dum" = "while" (after dum the verb has to be used in present tense) so:

Dum vagatur, (name) talpam offendit.

But if you're sure that inter + gerund works, then I agree that it would be the much more elegant way ;)
  8. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    OK, we're making some progress! For the "wandering" we might also consider using the present participle alone: vagans. Although there are no mediopassive present participles, deponents do have them, and anyway there is a nondeponent form vago. But I think I like Anika's solution best.

On re-reading, I think I'd like to move my numbers to before their nouns.
    I also have a stray i in coeperunt.

Correcting that, and adding the contributions from Jason210 and Anika we have so far:

Semel erant sex feles parvulae, atque una feles, mater eorum.

Matre docente, coeperunt parvulae sese lavare, nam copias quaersiturae sunt.

Parvulae post matrem incedebant. Parvulissima autem, nominatim Sexta, aberrare incipebat.

Dum vagatur, Sexta talpam offendit.

The next bit seems a little garbled in the English, so let's straighten it out a bit:

"Salve", inquit Sexta. "Nomen meum Sexta est".
    "Salve", talpa respondit; "'Gnaeus' appelleor".
    "Aberravit a matre," inquit Sexta. "Potesne me sis adjuvare ad eam reperiendum?"
    "Certe", respondit Gnaeus..."

Now I am a little uncertain about that ad eam reperiendum. I am sure that adjuvare takes the accusative, not, as one might expect, the dative; and I find a somewhat similar construction in Cicero, so I think we're all right. But I am certainly open to criticism or advice, about the reperiendum clause or about any of this.

Somebody else take it from here?

And Gaius, we've not heard from you since the beginning. Any feedback?