Inspirational Once broken but never again

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', May 14, 2006.

1. Anonymous Guest

Im trying to find a translation thats very literal to:
    Once broken but never again.

Any help with this would be great and i would greatly appreciate..
  2. Anonymous Guest

wondering if i have this right or if you could help corrret me....
    Adflictus semel autem, nunquam denuo
  3. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    Adflictus semel autem, nunquam denuo

I think your translation is quite good. The meaning is pretty clear. But we might polish it a little-- though of course tastes in these matters will differ.

Fractus would be more literally broken in a physical sense, but adflictus, or afflictus, is probably just exactly the word you want-- it means "stricken", "damaged", wrecked", "destroyed", or "made despondent".

I like your autem, but I think it belongs with the second clause, and probably in the second place in that clause.

Numquam is, I think, a much commoner spelling than nunquam.

I'm not sure that denuo is the ideal word here. The problem is the likely etymology, from de novo, that is "anew", carrying a nuance that may not be desirable here. Iterum might be a better word, or rursus.

I think we need to know the gender of that which was broken. If a heart, we should likely use a neuter ending on adflictus, as cor is neuter. If a female person, feminine, if a male, masculine.

Assuming that we are talking about a heart I would suggest Semel adflictum numquam autem iterum.

For a female adflicta, male adflictus.