"One raindrop raises the sea" &c

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', Feb 11, 2007.

1. Anonymous Guest

Hello all...I've been trying in vain to translate a motto into Latin. In English it reads 'one raindrop raises the sea, but alone can never flood the kingdom'. The closest I have managed to get with my limited knowledge of the language is this: Unus secui facio superus profundum , tamen non redundo regnum. I suspect it is wholly incorrect.
    Could somebody help me out please? Thanks muchly!
  2. QMF Civis Illustris

To be honest I actually don't think Latin has a word or a phrase that can be used for raindrop...very odd.
    Edit: I stand corrected.
  3. Andy Civis Illustris

True, QMF! What a thing. This is how I try to get over that:

Una mica aquae mare accrescere facit sed nunquam regnum inundare potest

A particle of water causes the sea to grow yet it can never flood the kingdom.
  4. Anonymous Guest

thanks guys! much appreciated...
  5. Andy Civis Illustris

I would rather you wait for what other people have to say: I believe there'll be many interesting takes on 'raindrop'.
  6. Iynx Consularis

How about:

Gutta imbrium solum maria elevet, sed numquam regnum inundabit.

I have seen gutta imbrium for "raindrop"; but I made up the rest. Is this a request for a translation, or is the original poster seeking an actual quotation, with source? If so, I'm afraid I can't help.

But I like the saying. It reminds me of Woody Allen: "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet."
  7. QMF Civis Illustris

Ah, I like how solus feels here better than unus. Unus is more literal but the "one" is probably more fittingly phrased as "a single".
  8. Iynx Consularis

That was intended as solum the adverb, not solus, -a, -um; gutta is feminine, of course.
  9. QMF Civis Illustris

Well the general effect is the same.