Mediaeval original 13th century certificate

By romaniitedomum, in 'Latin to English Translation', Dec 6, 2018.

1. romaniitedomum New Member

Hi,
    its my first time posting on the forum, so please forgive any mistakes.

I have received a 13th century certificate in latin (germanic church latin) that hasn´t previously been translated. It´s certifying a monastery near Berlin, to belong to the archbishop of Magdeburg. I have transcribed the certificate below, please be wary of possible s/f mixups (fracture letters), but other than that it should be good. I have attached the scan, I hope it works.

I would be incredibly thankful if you could help me with the translation. My high school latin is no match for seven-line-sentences.

The Latin Original:

wilbrandus, dej gracia sancte magdeburgensis ecclesie archiepiscopus, vniuersis nobilibus, fidelibus et ministerialibus magdeburgensis ecclesie presentes litteras inspectoris, salutem et omne bonum. Cum ecclesiastica defensione merito gaudere debeant et tutela ea, que ad usus pauperum sunt specialiter deputata, notum esse uolumus christi et ecclesie nostre fidelibus vniuersis, quod nos – ecclesiam religiosam et locum venerabilem in Trebenitz, scilicet in quo cittidiano obsequio famulantur altissimo ferui eius, cum personis, rebus mobilibus et immobilibus, villis Trebenitz, Janfelde, Grangiis, aquis, pascuis atque pratis, que in nostro dominio nunc jure postident aut sunt auctore domino in posterum possesturi, ea precipue que in terra Lubus nomine et auctoritate Magdeburgensis ecclesie iam ceperunt, in desentionem et protectionem nostrum recipimus, et nostra omnimodis protection gaudere volumus atque pace. Volentes igitur ut dieta ecclesia contra eos, qui suis nituntur possesionibus adversari, huius nostre tutele se remedio tueatur, nostris specialiter fidelibus, qui magdeburgensis ecclesie fidelitatis sunt et obsequie debitores, demum Christi fidelibus vniuersis in remissionem iniungimus peccatoru, ut sepe dictam ecclesiam in juribus et possessioinibus non offendant, imo ipsam dei et nostre dilectionis intuit protegant et defendant: ad euidenciam igitur protectionis nostre presentem paginain conscribe fecimus et sigilli nostril munimine roborari. Datum anno gratie MCCXLIIII.

Thank you for your help!
  2. romaniitedomum New Member

Really, nothing? I know its long but I thought you guys knew your latin.
  3. SpeedPocok5 Member

I would try, but from where you got that text?
  4. romaniitedomum New Member

My grandparents gave it to me and asked for help translating it. I tried but its over my head.
    They got it from a museum in Brandenburg, Germany, probably the village of Trebnitz (Trebenitz), where the monastery was founded.
    The people from the museum hope the certificate can be tanslated, since they think it will tell them something about the relationship of the other villages desribed above. That´s all the details I know.
    Again, thanks for any help!
    SpeedPocok5 likes this.
  5. SpeedPocok5 Member

so, i will try to translate it when i will have time, because i am translating ancient greek texts now, i'm really interested in the text that you provided.
  6. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Could you upload a photo of the original?
    SpeedPocok5 likes this.
  7. romaniitedomum New Member

This is the scan of a copy. I unfortunately do not have the original.

Attached Files:

8. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    That makes much more sense

Willibrand, by grace of God Archbishop of the holy church of Magdeburg, to all nobles, faithful and ministers of the church of Madgeburg (who are) about to read the present letters, greetings and all good.
  9. Abbatiſſæ Scriptor Senex

• Civis Illustris
    13th century would be impoſſibly early for any printed document, eſpecially one employing Fraktur and Antigua typefaces to diſtinguish German from Latin content.
  10. romaniitedomum New Member

No, it is clearly a later reproduction of the original certificate. As I have gathered now this is not the "founding" document but the one that confirms its status as a part of Wilbrands clerical jurisdiction some 40 years after the founding of the monestary. This document is mentioned in no resource I could find online and neither is Wilbrand role as steward of the monastery. So there is a good chance that the information in the long and convoluted sentence in the middle contains new details of the relationship of the monasteries in the 13th century.
  11. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    The real expert at these documents is Westcott

Since they should rightly rejoice in the defence of the church and this guardianship, which was specifically assigned for the use of the poor,
  12. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    we want it known by all faithful of christ and our church that we-- devout church and august place in Trebenitz, namely in which his servants wait upon the most high in daily attendance,
  13. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    with the people, moveable and immovable things, the villages of Trebenitz, Jansuelt, Boeholt, Coleistorp granges, waters, pastures and meadows which they now lawfully possess in our lord or who will through the authority of the lord possess in the future, particularly those in the land by name of Lubus and by the authority of the church of Magdeburg they have already taken

Not sure how these place names are actually spelled in German.
  14. romaniitedomum New Member

wow thats increadibly helpful so far. Thank you! Trebnitz today is Trzebnica in Poland and the surrounding villages sound very different from Coleistorp or Boeholt. There probably was a Janfelde but thats just speculation. Ill ask my grandparents for more details about the Monastery when I give them the translation and report back.
  15. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Trzebnica seems a long way from Magdeburg though.
  16. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    There are (at least) two locations called Trebnitz. The one that spells the name that way is a village that is now part of Teuchen in Germany (Sachsen-Anhalt).
  17. romaniitedomum New Member

According to "Geschichte des ehemaligen Bisthums Lebus [....]" at https://goo.gl/124QnV p. 31 this refers to the monastery at Trebnitz in Poland today and also to an area called Müncheberg in todays Germany. The Müncheberg villages were owned by the bishop either directly or through the monastery. According to the book (which offers the latin original but no translation) the document grants protection to the mentioned villages. The German names of the villages are Jansfelde, Buchholz and Gölsdorf. But the second and third sentences still don´t make complete sense to me.