Pathetic Mistranslations

By Cinefactus, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Mar 1, 2013.

1. Laurentius Man of Culture

• Civis Illustris
    It might happen in the country where the language is spoken. For example a bad translation into Italian won't go viral in Brazil. So in our case with Latin none will care about it.
  2. Abbatiſſæ Scriptor Senex

• Civis Illustris
    Serious problems can ariſe when products prove unuſable because their inſtructions are unintelligible in the target language, and buyers are led to believe that the inhabitants of the country of origin might be morons.
    :confused:
  3. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    To be fair, most people everywhere are morons. And instructions don't have to be translated to be unintelligible, although of course that helps.
  4. Laurentius Man of Culture

• Civis Illustris
    Writes an article to defend classical education, puts a title in wrong Latin. :doh:[IMG]
  5. Laurentius Man of Culture

• Civis Illustris
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    You mean "corrected"... :doh:
    Laurentius likes this.
  7. Laurentius Man of Culture

• Civis Illustris
    Yes I was being sarcastic, but I didn't think about writing like that. :)
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    To be fair, I think a rare variant genitive facies existed (I read about it in some Roman author; I don't remember whether it was Gellius or Quintilian or yet someone else...), so they could still try to defend themselves... if they were aware of it, which I don't think they are, lol.
  9. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I'm not sure if 'fair' is the right word. It's not as though it's likely that this was in anyone's mind.
  10. Laurentius Man of Culture

• Civis Illustris
    Did they use it or they were mentioning it as a weird variant?
  11. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I meant fair towards myself, of course. Like, "to be fair towards myself, I should let you all know that I know about this variant form, which they probably don't." :p

(Seriously: you're right, of course. In spite of my unappropriate "to be fair", I said as much about them most probably not knowing about it.)
    They mentioned it as a variant and quoted a passage from another author where it was used (I don't remember which author, but an archaic one, I think).
  12. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    My dictionary enabled me to find it back. It was Gellius.

XIV. Quod idem Quadrigarius "huius facies" patrio casu probe et Latine dixit; et quaedam alia adposita de similium vocabulorum declinationibus.

If you want to read the whole chapter: http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/gellius/gellius9.shtml#14
    Laurentius likes this.
  13. Laurentius Man of Culture

• Civis Illustris
    Thanks!
  14. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    I'm not sure the best translation of "Facebook" would involve a genitive of "face" followed by "book" anyway.
  15. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Is that what the Latin was supposed to be. I was really struggling!
  16. Laurentius Man of Culture

• Civis Illustris
    My brother told me about this writing from the beach asking about the meaning. I must say that I am not sure about the exact meaning but I might be missing something, does any of you understand the meaning of this?
    [IMG]
  17. Laurentius Man of Culture

• Civis Illustris
    Perhaps they omitted a longe or something, I wonder if it still makes sense like this.
  18. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yes, that's all I can think of, too. "May I not live away from water and sun!"
    I'm not sure. It's unusual and unclassical, at least. Now perhaps I've seen similar constructions in the Vulgate.
  19. Laurentius Man of Culture

• Civis Illustris
    Yes it took me a while to figure it out. It was a bit embarassing. :oops:
  20. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yes, here:

et datae sunt mulieri alae duae aquilae magnae ut volaret in desertum in locum suum, ubi alitur per tempus et tempora, et dimidium temporis a facie serpentis.

Revelation 12:14

I'll have a look in my dictionary to see if I can find occurences in classical Latin, but I don't think I've seen any so far.
    Laurentius likes this.