Peaceful night; People tree

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', May 20, 2006.

1. Anonymous Guest

Hello all,

I just have a couple short translations that I was hoping someone could tell me if they're correct or not. I've tried using some English->Latin dictionaries but I'd hate to use them if they're totally wrong :) With my previous attempts with other languages that is likely to happen too, lol.

Anyways, here they are:

"Peaceful Night" would this be:

"Pax nox"
    "Pacis noctis"
    "Pax pacis nox noctis"

"People Tree" would this be:

"Populus Arbor"
    "Populi Arboris"
    "Populus Arboris"

Also, would "Earth" be "Terra" or "Tellus?" I've seen both used...

That's it! :) As I said, I'm horrible with languages, lol. I could be totally on the wrong track here. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks!
  2. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    "Peaceful Night" would likely be Nox Tranquilla... or possibly Nox Pacifica, depending on exactly what you mean by "peacful". Nox and Pax are nominative forms, Noctis and Pacis genitive.

Arbor populi might mean "Tree of (the) people (singular)".
    Populus arboris might mean "People (singular) of the tree" or perhaps "The tree folk". A problem here is that populus is also a word for a particular kind of tree (in English called poplar, aspen, or cottonwood). More fundamentally, I think I'm having trouble translating "People tree" into Latin because I don't really know what the expression means in English. Can you explain?

Both terra and tellus can indeed mean "Earth".