Platform with audio to learn Latin

By Benedictus, in 'Latin Language Resources', Jun 10, 2017.

1. Benedictus New Member

Salvete omnes! Nice to meet you! I've just released an initial beta-stage platform to learn Latin in a fashion similar to Duolingo: http://www.micaelinguae.com It's based on simple exercises with audio files and it's mobile optimized; so far I have just released a free course to learn reading and pronouncing Latin according to the Pronuntiatio restituta. It's at beta stage so you might see errors and issues but I'd like to hear your suggestions to improve this simple initiative. Gratias ago vobis!

Benedictus
  2. I don't know where you're from, but your pronunciation is pretty good.

Now, the criticisms...

An error in Vowels second part: "pŏpŭlŭs (I am)". You also seem to pronounce tyrannus as ranŭs (stressed on ty- with no double n), instead of ty̆rannŭs. Also, what in the world is a "poniard"? I'd say most visitors will not know this word. Just call sīca "a curved dagger" (or explain that a "poniard" is a kind of curved dagger).

I think it'd be good to give minimal pairs for all vowel pairs except y (e.g. lĕvĭs 'smooth, not rough' vs. lēvĭs 'light of weight', vĕnĭt 'he comes' vs. vēnĭt 'he came', hĭc 'this one' vs. hīc 'here', lĭbĕr 'book' vs. lībĕr 'free'). I think ly̆ 'lyre' would be a better example of short y, because it's shorter.

I see that you pronounce i + vowel sequences with an English "y" sound: etiam is "e-tiam" (two syllables), temptatio as "temp-ta-tio", philologia as "phi-lo-lo-gia". Note that in Latin poetry this sequence is almost always separated as a hiatus: "e-ti-am" , "temp-ta-ti-o". You'd ideally re-record these... (EDIT: I now see that in Division into syllables I you teach to separate these, e.g. sur-ri-pi-o, and then continue to separate them, but my comment about the recordings in the previous lessons stands.)

In Consonants III, you seem to pronounce thĕmă with a long e.

In the quiz Syllabification I, you say that noscere is not "no-sce-re" and that inauditus is not "i-nau-di-tus". In the next lesson you say hermaphroditus is "her-măph-rŏ-dī-tŭs" and not "her-ma-phro-di-tus" (it could actually be either). In the quiz Syllabication III you say anhelare is actually "a-nhe-la-re" (even though no Latin word begins with nh-).

I got up to the end of lesson 6 Syllabification. I might continue later; I might not.
  3. Benedictus New Member

Hi Seraphinus! Thanks for testing the platform, your suggestions are very precious!

Right, very good suggestions, I have just added the minimal pairs you suggested, they are more interesting for the learner than the combinations I had chosen.

I agree completely, I recorded those again.

OK, I recorded that again; because of the aspiration I tended to pronounce the e longer.

Well in this case I marked incorrect the option "no-sce-re" since "sc" is made of two sounds and should be split in two different syllables. Maybe I'm missing something.

In this case I considered inauditus as a compound word so I marked as correct the option "in-au-di-tus"

You're completely right, I fixed it.

Thanks again for your help, please let me know if you see more issues!

Benedictus