Pre and post classical notation in L&S

By Cinefactus, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Nov 12, 2018.

1. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Quite a lot of the vocabulary in Plautus is marked as pre and post classical by Lewis & Short. It seems odd that a word would go out of usage for one hundred years and then come back in again.

Do you think this might imply that the words were in colloquial rather than formal usage, and thus not expressed by authors like Cicero.
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Perhaps. Post-classical authors liked to use a wide range of vocabulary that was not allowed in Ciceronian Latin, especially archaic and colloquial forms. So probably those words were in colloquial usage, or perhaps post-classical authors deliberately went back to Plautus to revive archaic words.
    Cinefactus likes this.
  3. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Yes, seems strange that those words were omitted by Tully. It's quite possible that he was ashamed to use them, or just refused to write them down, cause I refuse to believe he didn't know of their existence.
    Cinefactus likes this.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    There may have been a bit of both, for all I know, but I'm pretty sure later authors liked reviving archaic words, imitating the venerable antiquitas.
    Cinefactus likes this.