Precēs tibi nōn prōsunt.

By Siegfried Zaytsev, in 'Latin Beginners', Jul 5, 2018.

1. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I myself know neither Ducth nor German.
  2. Perhaps you both are right and I am wrong. Если(if)... , то(then)... construction does exist in the Russian Wiktionary.
    At first, either if or then in "If you read the instructions, then we can talk" felt redundant to me, but now I am not so sure.

That's probably what it was.
  3. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    In theory I'm a native speaker, but in this case I have apparently not internalised the relevant laws or whatever, because the more I think about it the more uncertain I am. I certainly don't think it would be ungrammatical; but maybe it would require stressing the 'then' (and thus the futurity of the apodosis). Or it would mean something like 'if you habitually read instructions for things, then we can talk (now).'
    Siegfried Zaytsev likes this.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    That often happens to me.
  5. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    What did you need from me, Godmy? Czego chcesz? :D
  6. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    Second-guessed myself on the plurality of инструкция.

I also had heard Belgians were bi- or tri-lingual, but whan þat I axed Friðuwif there-by, sayde she me 'nay, knave'.
  7. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Jen jsem si říkal, že by tě to mohlo zaujmout :)
  8. You can use it in the singular as well (in your sentence or similar sentences with little difference in meaning). инструкция has two meaings: 1) a whole set of rules or prescriptions and 2) one of those rules or prescriptions. (To be honest, I didn't notice that in your sentence инструкция was in the singular.)
  9. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Spoko, dziękuję! :)
    Godmy likes this.
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Regarding the level of English proficiency in Belgium, I was surprised to see us ranked in "high proficiency" in an "English proficiency index" found here.

English Proficiency.PNG

I wonder if this is mostly accounted for by the Flemish population. Also, I would have thought India would do better, being a former British colony and all that.
  11. Hmm, your English seems to be better than English of 99.99% of those for whom it is native.
    Iáson likes this.
  12. They have a huge population; a lot of it is not urban, so probably not particularly well educated in general. I think educating a population of one small European country with very high per capita GDP and educating 1.3+ billion people in a country with low per capita GDP are two different ball games.
  13. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Right.
  14. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Poland #6? Wow. Damn, what's up with those Scandinavians who steal the show?
  15. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    Pacifica likes this.
  16. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I went to https://www.ef.co.th/epi/ to see what the ranking depended on, but being easily discouraged, found their screen informing me that my country/region, Thailand, was 53rd in English proficiency somewhat offputting. I hope their methodology is more reliable than their ability to track IP addresses.
    Pacifica likes this.
  17. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Interesting.
    I should think not.
    It says the same thing to me.