Pro Caelio, section 21 - is this a dative of possession?

By Phoebus Apollo, in 'Latin to English Translation', Sep 11, 2017.

1. Phoebus Apollo Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Sed vestrae sapientiae tamen est, iudices, non, si causa iusta est viris fortibus oppugnandi M. Caelium, ideo vobis quoque causam putare esse iustam alieno dolori potius quam vestrae fidei consulendi.

I'm not sure whether the bit in bold is a dative of possession or some other idiom/construction.

If I take it to be a dative of possession it means 'It belongs to your wisdom, gentlemen...' (lit: 'it is to your wisdom') - but I'm not sure if this is correct?

Thanks in advance
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It's genitive, not dative. It is of your wisdom = it belongs to your wisdom, it is consistent with your wisdom, it is (or should be) a characteristic of your wisdom, it is the duty of your wisdom, it is to be expected from your wisdom, or the like.

A dative of possession doesn't express the idea of "x belongs to y", but that of "y has x". I also wrote about this in the post I linked to in your "frog" thread, but in the first part of the post: http://latindiscussion.com/forum/la...-translates-to-a-possessive-in-english.28298/
    Phoebus Apollo likes this.
  3. Phoebus Apollo Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Thanks again, Pacifica! :)