Project

By Hawkwood, in 'Non-Latin Talk', Aug 3, 2019.

1. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    My garage is to turn into a fourth bedroom for myself on work nights because our little one has night issues and it's been a good few years of him in our bed and not always happy. I now find myself in a position to create and furnish a space to my own liking, which in fairness to my partner, is a bit fruity sometimes.

So today marks demolition and the beginnings of my music, study and library room witch happens to have a bed at the one end.

She's on to me by the purse strings (and rightly so) but my will is unmolested and I've full consent. It'll be a case of plodding along and patience ab ovo usque ad mala will be the day's order. I'll add pics over time but the project will be slow due to being somewhat financially embarrassed and the fact the cheaper end of the antique market for bargain hunters is rather competitive.
    Hemo Rusticus likes this.
  2. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    The Space 20ft by 7ft.

Pro = high ceiling and quite long.
    Con = not very wide

The plan is to do as much as I can but I'll need a bricky to knock hole in wall and secure it, a window fitter and a plumber and sparky for minor alterations.

Already made a start today on demolition of the garage partitions that were existing and plan to board up the door going into utility room tomorrow.

From far end looking toward garage doors (20ft)
    IMG_20190803_165729.jpg

From garage doors looking toward door into utility room and house proper (20ft).
    IMG_20190803_172645.jpg

Looking from wall toward house where hole for door into house hallway will be (7ft)
    IMG_20190803_172601.jpg

I'll update in a few weeks when stuff has changed.
    Adrian, Issacus Divus and Terry S. like this.
  3. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Are you doing this all on your own?
  4. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    As much as possible on my own. Need a chippy for a door frame, bricky for secure hole, window fitter for window installation, a sparky and plumber for little bits and a plasterer at the end. The demolition, skirting, boarding, laying of floating floor, hanging of door, painting, coving, etc, I'll do on weekends.

Plus I'm buying all materials as well that way the devil won't be hiding in tradesmen's details.
    Iáson and Issacus Divus like this.
  5. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Pretty nice project!
  6. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Hopefully.
  7. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I like your idea of garage spatial planning and management:) As mentioned by you, awailable space is not wide and relatively small (140 square feet) - can you share some ideas how are you planning to organise it (I assume you'll be using lots of shelves, wall holders and hangers to win some space)

I would advise hiring a polish handyman (Pan Złota Rączka); as far as I recall there is quite an abdundance of them in England:)
  8. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    I have some grand arse ideas concerning decor and furnishings but as you rightly point dimensions are key. One dimension in my favour is height, I plan to buy a tall victorian bookcase (I have an eye on one now on ebay). The bed is to be window end of room and looking toward other wall (20ft expanse) you'll see on the right that tall slim bookcase and directly ahead on far wall (hopefully) a nice edwardian desk above which (hopefully) will hang a large Rubens print in a baroque gilded frame. The desk will (hopefully) house two antique candlesticks, two bookends where I'll place my lute tablature. I plan on buying a single victorian chair to play my lute on. Finally on the left side will be an antique five drawer chest for my clobber. I plan on (hopefully) obtaining a nice french vase to house flowers atop chest and a few more pictures likely of dutch/flemish movement. The colour will be a light green with white ceiling and ornate coving. I wanted a rich green but due to size restrictions I've had to lighten.

I realize you're wanting more ideas about my planing in reference to size restrictions but I'll update with a drawing once my space is clear, hopefully by end of next week.
    Adrian likes this.
  9. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Ah and course a bronze of mad lad Apollo and a capitoline museums' copy of the capitoline wolf. Miles away from all this at the moment though.

Here is that victorian bookcase. Needs tidying but it'll be ideal. Pricey though, £100.

Screenshot_20190804-190009.png
    Adrian likes this.
  10. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    that Victorian Bookcase is really impressive. The overall decor cocept is interesting. What are your plans concerning housing your lute (head stock holder/ dock; wall mounted stand, simple hanger hook; floor stand , full frame case stand)?
    Just curious that's all. I used to keep my guitar on full frame stand (similar to the photo below)
    [IMG]
    Hawkwood likes this.
  11. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    It's difficult because the little fella can be destructive, hence all my books being in storage the last couple of years due to tears and stuff. The lute is to remain in its case locked or I might hang it high on ceiling. The room is also being locked when I'm out. If he gets in, it's game on for shitbagz and I'll only have myself to blame.

What music do you play? A bit of everything maybe?
    Adrian likes this.
  12. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    during primary music school basically 90% was classical music (Sor, Carulli, Tarrega, Guliani, some transcriptions from Bach, Paganini etc.) After that mostly popular songs of various genre (basically any tabs or scores that we teenagers could get our hands on like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, PJ Harvey, Blur etc. Some Bon Jovi; some other rock ballads, bit of blues and country / folk. I always prefered acoustic to electric :)
    After highschool I stopped playing:( ; tbh I don't even know where my parents put my two guitars and music books (I guess they gave them away... )
    Issacus Divus and Hawkwood like this.
  13. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Acoustic for me too. You should buy a cheap guitar and start again. Some good music there, Tarrega, Bach, etc. Of course PJ Harvey was good in her day too.
    Adrian likes this.
  14. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I would really like to start again:) Hopefully I will manage to reserve some time to acquire study materials and reconstruct my collection of tabs and music sheets.

I realise I am highjacking your thread a bit, but hopefully you won't mind. This beautiful song for acoustic / classic guitar composed by sir Paul Mccartney (back in the days, I had sheet music and tabs for it and played it for my girlfriend)

Last edited by Adrian, Aug 7, 2019
    Hawkwood likes this.
  15. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Digress away, mate. That is indeed a nice spanish guitar composition of Yesterday. This you'll know but it doesn't have to be too taxing on time for instance I play an hour per night and rarely no more unless it's the weekend.
    Adrian likes this.
  16. Issacus Divus Sunu Reordcyningas

• Civis Illustris
    That is so cool...from Bach to Metallica to Bon Jovi? I salute thee.
    Hawkwood and Adrian like this.
  17. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    There is really little to salute:) . I have seen and heard lots of self-taught guitarists who could play classical pieces, jazz, pop, blues, rock songs without knowledge of notes or music theory (based on tabs and/ or youtube tutorials alone).
  18. Issacus Divus Sunu Reordcyningas

• Civis Illustris
    I have too. Indeed, there are some ingenious lads out there.
  19. Hawkwood .

• Civis

For me in that batch, PJ Harvey was a pleasant surprise. She's quite the talent but rarely gets a mention in the music world.
    Adrian likes this.
  20. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Indeed. Check out this young fella, I wish I could be at least 5% as good as him
    Pacifica and Issacus Divus like this.