Pyramus Thisbeque 86-7

By deudeditus, in 'Latin to English Translation', Sep 25, 2006.

1. deudeditus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    ...urbis quoque tecta relinquant
    neue sit errandum lato spatiantibus aruo

the urbis is in the middle of line 86 in Ovid's Pyramus and Thisbe.
    who/what is the subject of sit errandum? Well, point me in the right direction, anyway.

... (they decide) to leave the city's buildings (i.e. the city), also
    and so that it wouldn't be wandered by them walking about in a wide field...

what's being wandered? is it a way of saying,' ond so they wouldn't wander...'

-Jon
  2. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    When the original verb is intransitive, the gerundive must be used impersonally with the dative of agent; in short there is no subject to errandum sit.

The passive of erro is in fact often used impersonally, cf. entry in Lewis & Short.

Thus, ne...errandum sit...spatiantibus is literally translated "so that it not be wandered for those walking,", i.e. "so that the walkers not go astray." This is a purpose clause explained by the subsequent line conveniant ad busta Nini... - "they would meet at the tomb of Ninus".