Quaestionem solvit qui vitium petit

By Hannawolf, in 'Latin to English Translation', Oct 20, 2017.

1. Hannawolf New Member

Hi there. I have three latin phrases which appear in a new volume I am reading that I would like to fully understand. The first is the title of this thread, and the other two are:

Ars Omnia Tuetur

-and-

quod erat demonstrandum

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. Imperfacundus Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris
    - He who looks for the mistake solves the problem.

- Art looks at/after everything.

- (This is) what was supposed to be proven.
  3. Hannawolf New Member

If you eliminate the second phrase (Are Omnia Tuetur), do the other two have any additional meaning when taken together?
  4. Imperfacundus Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris
    Not anything beyond what you get from putting the translations together.
  5. Hannawolf New Member

Thank you so much, Imperfacundus :)

Pseudonym99, would you expand on your impression?
  6. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    That's just a quote in Imperfacundus's signature, meaning nothing in this thread (in fact, it doesn't really mean anything anywhere)
  7. Hannawolf New Member

Ah. Thanks.

These translations are part of solving a bit of a mystery, so any alternative readings are appreciated.
  8. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    If it helps, quod erat demonstrandum (often abbreviated QED) is frequently used at the end of a mathematical proof.
  9. Hannawolf New Member

Excellent! Thanks so much :)
  10. Lucylu New Member

Going back to the 3 phrases, can you think how they might tie in with Sherlock Holmes and/or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
    Your help is much appreciated, thanks
  11. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    This sounds like a quiz question, and perhaps is one, or could become one in the future. Victorian gentlemen, and occasionally ladies, were of the habit of peppering their speech with Latin quotations in a way that seemed less pretentious to their contemporaries than it does to most of ours. I don't know if Holmes used these particular phrases, but a computer search of the stories should determine the answer. Or were you planning to write some new Holmes stories, and wanted to work these phrases in? I'm unsure of exactly what you're asking.
  12. Lucylu New Member

I’m trying to win a book. I believe it is the same book as the previous person with the original question. She seems to have gotten the answer when she said excellent thanks, however I still have not gotten the answer.

The chance to win a book is from a Kickstarter project from Thornwillow/Sherlock Holmes Hexology. The only clue is said to be in the very fibers of the book. The above Latin phrases seem to be the clues to the answer. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Information is no longer needed, thanks.
  13. Lucylu New Member

Well, they did not tell me I won so the search continues. Does anyone have any idea what ties them all together?
  14. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Not sure exactly what's going on, but looking at the first 'clue', have you found any mistakes in the text?
  15. Lucylu New Member

I'm afraid to ask what the error is as I have used my guess for the week, but if you would enlighten me I would appreciate it very much. Other backers of this book are Yale and Vassar universities as well as many other very educated people so I fear that the mystery and chance at the book will not last long.
    Thanks
  16. Lucylu New Member

AoM, I have not been able to find a mistake in the text, Latin is not my forte, quite frankly neither is the computer any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
  17. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Is it possible for me to see the text? Or is it only in physical form?
  18. Lucylu New Member

The book is a hexalogy of Sherlock Holmes top six stories. There is a one word answer to try and win a leather cover copy of the book. There are 400 plus trying to find the answer. There is 3 phrases in Latin that may or may not help to find the one word answer.
    The first phrase is on the copy write page and is - Quaestionem solvit qui vitium petit.
    The second and third phrases are are on the last page of the book (note page) and are Ars Omnia Tuetur (this phrase is also on Thornwillows web page) and the third phrase is Quod Erat Demonstrandum.
    These may or may not have anything to do with the one word answer.
    Thanks

If I scanned the pages is it possible to insert into these boxes?
  19. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Sure. But how many pages are there?
  20. Lucylu New Member