Tattoo quam minimum credula postero

By Astroguy, in 'Latin to English Translation', Apr 14, 2019.

1. Astroguy New Member

I know that this is cliche but I want to use second half of the phrase.... carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
    The reason is I went to get a tattoo with the latin words 'carpe diem' .... and the tattoo artist almost rolled his eyes when he heard. I guess it is just so cliche.
    However... upon further investigation into Horace Odes.... I found the entire line.
    I figured that I could just leave out the ,'carpe diem' and simply use the remainder...'quam minimum credula postero'.
    Of couse the paraphasing of this means.... 'than trusting little in the following one'
    Now this does not make sense without the carpe diem.... so it doesn't stand alone as a statement.
    Are there other ways to make this statement.... google translate =
    posuit minimum fiducia apud cras ......OR
    posuit minimum fiducia apud credula..... OR
    should I just stick with .... quam minimum credula postero? and honour the poem.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    No, the quam here doesn't mean "than".

The meaning of the line is "trusting very little in the following one". It's also specifically addressing a woman, as seen in the feminine form credula.
    Oh my God, no. Google Translate is wrong, as usual.
    In my opinion, quam minimum credula postero makes little sense out of context.

If you want a complete sentence meaning "trust very little in the following day", you could say quam minimum crede* postero diei. It is no longer verse, but it's a grammatically correct sentence that makes sense on its own.

*Or maybe more classically credideris. Note to my colleagues: I'm a bit unsure whether this must be considered a negative command. Very technically, it isn't, but the meaning is much like it. There was a discussion on this a few years ago and I don't think there ever was a definitive conclusion. What do you think?
    Last edited by Pacifica, Apr 14, 2019
  3. Astroguy New Member

Pacifica ...Amazing... that was fast.
    I am very thankful to you for this detailed break down for me.... yes I figured that google translate was letting me down.

This is beautiful.... I remember my sisters being so upset with me when I entered Gr. 9 high school. The Roman Catholic school board had just implemented the cancellation of required Latin course for the local high schools. My sisters were upset that I didn't have to learn this 'dead language'.... and I was so happy at age 14 ... but now at age 57 , after more than 30 years in the health field, the usefulness of Latin on my job is daily when trying to figure out an unknown medical term!... again thanks.
    I should audit a Latin course at our local Univeristy...!
  4. Astroguy New Member

One more question Pacifica please....
    I am liking your non verse phrase...'quam mininum crede postero diei'
    The question I have is can I replace the last word of this phrase with diem instead of diei?
  5. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    No, it would be ungrammatical.
  6. Astroguy New Member

Thanks again!
  7. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I somehow missed this thread :eek:

I suppose most latinists would immediately recognise ... wait.
    Nevermind. I know too many latinists who wouldn't :D

In any case, you're right that it doesn't make sense out of context.
    Credulus has that special meaning of implying a certain degree of naivity that the mere verb credere may not have. I'm not sure if there's an easy way around that, though.

That's a good question because I can see how you can make a case for both. I could ask a few 'colleagues' what they think.

I need to write that stuff down lest I forget.