Question on Latin Hymn from Roman Breviary

By ThomasXX, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Dec 22, 2018.

1. ThomasXX Member

Carissimi et Sapientes,

In the verse from the Roman Breviary below, what do the italics in the words thalamo and geminae mean and how do I pronounce them? Are the letters, with accents, that remain long but the accent moves to the letter in italics?

Procédate e thálamo suo,

pudóris aula régia,

géminae gigas substántiae

alácris ut currat viam.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Ahem! Do the letters, with accents, remain long but the accents move to the letters in italics?
  2. syntaxianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Italic letters have to do with changing tones: for an English parallel see no. 3 here. Accents show the typical stress in Latin words. Since the reader may not know the i in geminae is short, the text is marked so that the first syllable is clearly the one to be stressed.
  3. ThomasXX Member

Oh yes! Thanks for reminding me sytaxianus. It has been a few years since I chanted the Office with a group that uses the Mundelein Psalter. The one I am using is the Liturgia Horarum from Breviario Digitale. It does not show any musical notation. That confused me a bit.
  4. Aeneas New Member

I think that the letters in italics are simply not pronounced when chanted. At least, that is what I have seen with some hymns in the Old Roman Breviary when they were set to Gregorian notation.