Quo - adjective or adverb?

By Ospringe66, in 'Latin Grammar Questions', Mar 18, 2019.

1. Ospringe66 New Member

In the Horace ode 3.10 (a jolly paraclausithyron) the second stanza goes thus:

audis, quo strepitu ianua, quo nemus
    inter pulchra satum tecta remugiat
    ventis et positas ut glaciet nives
    puro numine Iuppiter?

I'm looking at "quo....quo" and wondering what the grammar is.

Is "strepitu" understood in the second instance, so that construction with "nemus" mirrors that of "ianua"? Or does the second "quo" simply mean "how...", ie, it's similar to the "ut" two lines below?

None of the commentaries I've consulted can help me; consequently any tips are gratefully received.
  2. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    quo is an interrogative pronoun that agrees with strepitu - so it's used adjectivally here.
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yes.
    I don't think "how" is ever a possible meaning for quo.

Edit: Simultaneous posting.
  4. Ospringe66 New Member

Thank you. Williams translates the three terms as "with what...how....how...", but that might just be because it reads more naturally that way.
  5. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It sounds like he rephrased it a bit. I could tell you more if you provide the whole translation.

The ut in the third verse does indeed mean how.
  6. Ospringe66 New Member

Thank you for your replies.

Here’s G D Williams:
    Do you hear the noise the door makes, how the clump of trees, planted amid the pretty buildings, creaks in the gale, and how Juppiter, with an unclouded divinity, freezes over the lying snows?

And David West:
    Do you hear how your door creaks, and how the trees
    sown in your lovely garden groan at the winds,
    and Jupiter in a clear sky
    freezes the fallen snow?

Incidentally, if you type ‘quo’ into Logeion, this is the first entry:

Short Definition
    quo, where, in what place, in what situation
    quo2, see quo, and 2 minus
    quo3, in what manner, in what way? how?
  7. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    They retained the sentiment, but they changed the wording a bit.
    A more literal translation would be
    Do you hear (audis) with which noise (quo strepitu) the door resounds (ianua remugiat), (and) with which <noise> (= 2nd quo <strepitu>) the grove (nemus) resounds (remugiat refers to both ianua and nemus)

<strepitu> means that the word is implied after the 2nd quo

I'm not sure what Logeion is, but I suppose it is similar to the Perseus word study tool, which gives me a similar output:
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=quo&la=la#lexicon

If you click on "quo3" in Lewis & Short, you will find that the actual dictionary entry is "quō modo", which actually does mean "how" (literally "in which way") -- however, quo as a standalone doesn't.
    (similarly, the quo2 takes you to the dictionary entry for quō minus), so there seems to be some kind of bug in the overview.

The relevant dictionary entry for the quo in this Horace poem is not quo, though. You have to look up qui, quae, quod. The quo in this poem is the ablative singular masculine of (the interrogative pronoun) qui.
  8. Ospringe66 New Member

That's great, thanks.

Logeion has a number of Latin and Greek dictionaries: http://logeion.uchicago.edu

I find it quicker to load than Perseus. (It's also a handy app.)