Resource wishlist

By Ser, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Feb 24, 2019.

1. Ser Nūmen lūnāre

• Civis Illustris
    One of my dreams as a language learner is to either eventually produce or help produce free-of-cost language learning resources with volunteered labour or funding, all under permissive legal licenses too. Inspiring examples that come to my mind would be the Chinese Grammar Wiki, Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar and Godmy's transcription of Forcellini's dictionary.

It often doesn't matter if a similar resource already exists, because if it is non-free-of-cost and/or only available in print then a free-of-cost digital resource can be produced, and if it is old and in the public domain it can always be updated with current knowledge or enriched with extra things. My main concerns would be how difficult they are to make and whether people would use them.

Also, I'm a web & mobile programmer so websites and apps are not out of the question. Programming such things is always a lot easier than creating the data used.

What are some resources you wish existed for Latin available for free that I alone or a small team could make, say, over a period of some months, a year or, say, three years? One nice thing about being a Latin learner is that there are many free-of-cost resources in existence already, but perhaps there are desirable resources that escape me.

Ideas that have occurred to me and that are well within a possible project scope are:
    - A new (more legally permissive) digitization of Bennett's, Allen & Greenough's and Gildersleeve's grammars, available as an offline mobile app with an adequate index and a good search function (besides being able to download the digitizations).
    - Bilingual Latin-English versions of certain texts, with parallel paragraphs (or often parallel sentences when they're long), with translations grabbed from the public domain and updated to a more modern English. Available as an offline mobile app, a website and PDF files.
    - Interlinear Latin-English versions of certain texts, with grammatical commentary. Available as above, although I'm not sure how well the interlinear format would translate to a phone at all.

However, I don't if anyone would use any of these three types of resources. The grammars are available for free in some form already (just not a very convenient one), and you can kind of make up for bilingual texts with any available English translation on the side.
  2. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    I think more spoken latin resources would be helpful.
    Ser likes this.
  3. Ser Nūmen lūnāre

• Civis Illustris
    Well then! I had better get onto it fast. :)