Mediaeval Reuoluens

By Legmorn, in 'Latin to English Translation', Feb 21, 2019.

1. Legmorn New Member

Hey guys!

I'm working on a translation of the Historia Regum Britannie of Geoffrey of Monmouth, but as i'm a novice in Latin it goes very slowly. I'm stuck tho on a word that i don't find any translation for: Reuoluens.

The phrase is:

Cum mecum multa et de multis sepius animo reuoluens in hystoriam regum Britannie inciderem, in mirum contuli quod infra mentionem quam de eis Gildas et Beda luculento tractatu fecerant nichil de regibus qui ante incarnationem Christi inhabitauerant, nichil etiam de Arturo ceterisque compluribus qui post incarnationem successerunt repperissem, cum et gesta eorum digna eternitate laudis constarent et a multis populis quasi inscripta iocunde et memoriter predicarent<ur>.

I do tend to translate the text on my own, as practice and hobby, so no need to translate the sentence further, you can always put a translation down below! ;) But just the word would be very nice, i don't even have a clue of which verb (if it is a verb) it originates.

Thanks in advance!
    Legmorn
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
  3. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    The word is to be taken in conjunction with animo (abl.): that is, 'turn about (in the mind), ponder, contemplate, reflect on'.
  4. Legmorn New Member

wow, I see it now, as it's mediaeval Latin the v's turned into u's, thanks a lot guys!

I translated it a bit freely as 'the returning thought', does that sound okay or do you have any alternative suggestions?
  5. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    That isn't specific to medieval Latin. U and V were already the same letter in Roman times.
    It's wrong.

Revolvens is a present participle in the nominative singular, in agreement with the subject of the sentence (ego).

As Hemo said, animo revolvere means, literally, "to turn (something) about in the mind", that is, to ponder or reflect on something.

So animo revolvens means "pondering..."
  6. Legmorn New Member

Thanks for the correction, it's been a long time ago that i had my Latin classes, so i have to get used to the "feeling" of translating again :)

Thank you both for the replies!