Scissione vestimenti super sepulchro...

By Subcontrary, in 'Latin to English Translation', Jan 12, 2019.

1. Subcontrary New Member

I am stymied and I beseech the kind members of this forum to help me yet again with a scary sentence. Over the course of several months I have spent easily an hour staring at this thing and trying to make perfect sense of it. I'll not distress you with my previous translations, just the most recent, which I'm sure is distressing enough. I felt bound to take certain liberties for the sake of comprehensibility, but my labors may have backfired. Do please let me know where I was led astray:

"Scissione vestimenti super sepulchro facta cuncti magno cum strepitu et vociferatione e coemeterio diffugiunt, ne lethiferum defuncti audiant clamorem, quem terra obrutus, atque a Mure nares admorsus edere creditur, et quo audito intra trigesimum diem mori itidem cogatur animadvertens."

"Having rent their clothing over the grave, they all disperse from the cemetery with great noise and screaming, so that they do not hear the lethal cries of the deceased, buried in the earth, and believed to chew as a mouse gnaws holes into it. And one noticing this noise is compelled to die within thirty days."
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    clamorem, quem terra obrutus, atque a Mure nares admorsus edere creditur = fairly literally, "the cry, which [the deceased person] buried in the earth and bitten in the nose by a mouse is believed to let out".

The edere used here is the one meaning "produce", "emit", "let out" and the like; not the one meaning "eat".

Admorsus is a prefect passive participle, "(having been) bitten".

Nares is an accusative of respect, which is relatively rare in classical prose but more common in poetry.
    rothbard likes this.
  3. Subcontrary New Member

Thank you so much, Pacifica! I am again astounded by your erudition and your great willingness to help me! I must read upon the topic of the accusative of respect; I'm only familiar with the ablative thereof.