1. braw New Member

Hi guys,

Would really appreciate some help with translating the above. Example in context:

"Mud from the Sea of Life" (it's actually from the dead sea but sea of life sounds much less depressing :) ).

Could you help me translate "Sea of salt/salty sea" as well? In Hebrew it's literally Sea of Salt (Yam hamelach). Would it be the same in Latin?

Thankful for all the help I can get.

Sincerely,
    Dan
  2. Summus Mus Member

mare vitae, Sea of Life
    mare vivum, Living Sea
    mare vitale, Sea of Life/Vital Sea

mare salis, Sea of Salt
    mare salsum, Salty Sea

mare mortuum, Dead Sea***
    mare exanime, Lifeless Sea***

***The Dead Sea being a geographical location may very well have had a different name to the Romans. Anyone?
  3. scrabulista Consul

• Consul
    Mare Salsissimum is the most common in the Bible.
    Genesis 14:3 has nothing more than Mare Salis
    Joshua 3:16 has in mare Solitudinis quod nunc vocatur Mortuum = "into the sea of the Wilderness which is now called the Sea (of the Dead)"
    Joshua 12:3 has et usque ad mare Deserti quod est mare Salsissimum, which I would translate as "and unto the sea of the Desert which is the Saltiest (Dead) Sea," although KJV has "unto the sea of the plain, [even] the salt sea"

I checked some old (1800's) maps of Palaestina, and some of them have Lacus Asphaltites.