Serious about being silly

By John Rands, in 'English to Latin Translation', May 21, 2019.

1. John Rands New Member

I have a phrase I coined when talking to my daughter saying that I am "Serious about being silly" (talking about the hard work involved in writing/performing/creating comedy)

I've had an impulse to come up with a Latin variation for this to act as a kind of motto (written as ALWAYS SERIOUS ABOUT BEING SILLY), but my limited knowledge and research hasn't turned up any simple words/phrases that translates to 'silly' and I want to avoid longer sentences (wanting the motto short and sharp)

The closest I've found using the notoriously unreliable translators is Semper Gravi De Comoedia which (supposedly) translates to 'always serious about comedy'. I'm not sure I trust the machine enough to use that, but it's a good indication of the short/punchy phrase I'm after.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the forum about a phrase like that using the originally intended 'silly' (in a comic/clownish context) or failing that a confirmed or tidied version of the alternative using comedy instead of silly.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hi,

I might suggest nugis graviter deditus ( = +- literally "seriously devoted to silly stuff/absurdities").

Or maybe, alternatively:

Semper graviter nugor = "I always play the fool seriously."
    Gravis nugator = "Serious fool player."
    John Rands and Bitmap like this.
  3. John Rands New Member

Semper graviter nugor has a nice ring to it
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It's my favorite one too.
  5. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    What about serio ioculans? That's the traditional contrast.
    Issacus Divus likes this.