Shakespeare's Thread

By Hawkwood, in 'Non-Latin Talk', Sep 27, 2017.

1. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    For all things that Shake.
    Pacifica and Dantius like this.
  2. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    If you have writ your annals true, 'tis there,
    That, like an eagle in a dove-cote, I
    Flutter'd your Volscians in Corioli:
    Alone I did it. Boy!

A scene from a film adaptation of Coriolanus (2011). Directed by Ralph Fiennes in his debut behind the cameras.
  3. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Elizabethditchley.jpg

Queen Elizabeth donning a spanish farthingale under her dress. The Ditchley portrait (1590s).

"thou wouldst make an absolute courtier; and the firm
    fixture of thy foot would give an excellent motion
    to thy gait in a semi-circled farthingale."

The Merry Wives of Windsor: act 3, scene 3 (67-9).
    Last edited by Hawkwood, Sep 28, 2017
  4. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    IMG_20170928_211245.jpg
    Wenceslaus Hollar's Long View of London 1647.

I've placed an orange circle over the second Globe Theatre, take your eyes southwest a touch and you'll also see the infamous bear baiting ring. This area is Bankside (depicted during the civil war) and sat just outside the city of London's jurisdiction. It was notorious for its brothels and taverns. Just imagine the bustle of all the Londoners crossing Old London Bridge (to the far right of picture) heading south of the river for a night in the Playground of London. The Globe was eventually destroyed, along with all the other theatres, by the Puritans.

220px-Wenzel_Hollar_nach_Jan_Meyssens.jpg

Here's Hollar. A thoroughly good egg.
  5. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    13Peterhall1-blog427.jpg

A nice photo of the late Peter Hall (taken in 1965).
  6. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    sbt-sc4-18-23-birthroom-shakespeare-s-birthplace.jpg

c. 1883

His Wordship of Avon was born in this room.
    Pacifica likes this.
  7. Hawkwood .

• Civis

The boys, Wells, Bate and Edmundson spend 40 minutes inside the pages of the greatest piece of literature ever produced in the history of the known universe.
  8. Hawkwood .

• Civis

Chris Hughes reading the first of the procreation sonnets. He has a lovely voice.
  9. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    IMG_20171031_183807.png

I've neglected this little pearl since beginning the Sonnets, in fact I've yet to sit down with a fair few.

Two things.

1. If you're reading this please do recite the above aloud else you miss a key aspect to sonnet design concerning thier ability to harness our natural instrument. The highlighted line is melodic heaven to the ear. Has as to be recited aloud though.

2. Highlighted line again. Do you think a comma succeeding the negation would be preferable for future editions? I only say because the comma is also omitted from my Bate Editions.

You know I'd like to look at some early editions as my interest is prickling toward punctuation in relation to the Sonnets.
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Perhaps it's just me being stupid, but as it is the line confused me*. Personally I would have used a comma.

*I wasn't familiar with the word "twire", either, which I guess didn't help.
  11. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    It threw me as well at first. I wonder the punctuation set-up in the early editions. I had a reprint early on but give it away to someone close a few years back. I'm desperate to open her up now. This is my cyber enquiry for tonight.

Edit: What a prize prat. I've got one. The above thought crossed my mind as I wrote it, only to then remember I bought a new copy again because the one I gave away was not in the best condition hence giving it away, though it was modern. I have it in my hand now, brilliant.
    Last edited by Hawkwood, Oct 31, 2017
  12. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
  13. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Yeah, I'm in the first folio now, no comma. I'm sure there's a Shakey quote contained somewhere from his canon that alludes to his fetish with punctuation. I could be wrong here as I've only read new editions. But I'm taking this to work tonight along with Bate's edition to compare them (certain sonnets). Chuffed.
  14. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    I think it's time I became acquainted with Bate, I'll drop him an email with a quick hello and a query. I sometimes knock academia but every time I've reached out to them regarding an inquiry or perceived error that I can't chase up online, I've received a warm response and an answer.

Slight digression. After going to the RSC this year to watch JC I was tempted to contact Angus Jackson to find out namely the artistical reasoning behind why Anthony's Speech was massacred, actually I sat there, mouth agape, through a lot of the scenes to be honest. I thought better of it as there would've been no pleasant way to put it forward.
  15. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    What did they do to it?
  16. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    It narks me though because it should be an honour and a privilege to lead a vanguard of the RSC. And yet I witnessed the most confused and schizophrenic performance to date and the crowning glory was the use of comical effect in Marky T's speech; inconsolable loss followed by a chirpy play on lines (almost an aside) then back to inconsolable loss, just doesn't wear with me. Look steer her through whatever waters you must but for God's sake set a bloody course.
  17. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Apologies, I'm actually ranting about it a bit. I do wonder what Hall made of it.
  18. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Wow.
  19. Kuba26 non sum dignus

• Civis Illustris
    I have always liked Keith Michell as Anthony in the 1978 BBC adaptation of JC.
  20. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    If Shakespeare were alive, he would surely be one of the most succesful screenwriters in Film industry.

He would definietly make a prominent carrer as motivational couch coach

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger:
    Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
    Disguise fair nature with hard-favored rage,
    Last edited by Adrian, Nov 1, 2017