Shakespeare's Thread

By Hawkwood, in 'Non-Latin Talk', Sep 27, 2017.

1. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    OK, after numerous unsatisfying attempts I figured I wouldn't get any better than this and I might as well not spend the whole night trying.

Hopefully Terry will give us something to console our ears. ;)

Attached Files:

Terry S. and Hawkwood like this.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Why don't you post an attempt? It might not be professional or effortless, but then again it can't be so much worse than mine. Or if you think it is, surely you're underestimating yourself and other ears than yours would be fairer to you than you are.

I sense you're going to refuse, and that's OK, but well.
  3. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Yep. Rickman's delivery of 'she' reeks of misinterpretation.
  4. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Bravo!
  5. Hawkwood .

• Civis

Na. No point, honest.
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Grrmph. OK.
  7. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris
    I don't think it would be a good idea for me to try the likes of that. I don't have as much as a notion of how to begin.
  8. Etaoin Shrdlu Imminent wormfood

• Civis Illustris
    What about beginning with the first line of one, and going through the rest in order till you reach the fourteenth?
    Pacifica and Dantius like this.
  9. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    What? Are you kidding? What's the effing problem with you guys? Why should I be the only one to have guts enough to incur a bit of ridiculousness (when you incur much less of it than me)?

Are you comfortable only with McGonagall? :D
    That's a very good idea. You could put it into practice, too, actually. ;)
  10. Etaoin Shrdlu Imminent wormfood

• Civis Illustris
    Alas, I can't count.
  11. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Up to you but I know that you know that I know you have a good notion of recital.
  12. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Why is my verse so barren of new pride?
    So far from variation or quick change?

Taken from the initial quatrain of sonnet 76.

Modesty aside, I think he's alluding to the most important dynamic of a good sonnet here; namely movement. No point mentioning names as a quick search online will throw up all poetic heavyweights who've made attempts at the english sonnet in the wake of him but I do wonder why those, who I've read thus far, have all failed to grasp at the essence of good sonnetry.

Yet it's not like they're unaware of it. If I recall rightly it was Wordsworth who marvelled at Shakespeare's ability to write busy narratives full of movement by saying something along the lines of "we can all write good sonnets if allowed more than fourteen lines" so I think we can likely dismiss the notion of ignorance on behalf of noted attemptees. So why is it they're all so bloody bland? If it's taking a quatrain to empty out two or three lacklustre clauses attached to a fartish thought that lacks even the life to dispel it's own bland fumes, then what's the point of writing sonnets for publication?

I can't help but feel we're being hoodwinked by some of these famous poets, at least concerning sonnetry. They might be maestros with the metre but so what, you've still only fourteen lines and the goal is to pack it full with as much trickery and substance as possible and if the metre takes a bashing then hard cheese, collateral damage.

If anyone knows of that quote I'm referring to then please do tell. I can't find it.
  13. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    You know what, I'll attach one of Shakey's sonnets here for unpacking later. I've been meaning to do this for a while and besides it'll be a good exercise in critique, as opposed to moaning about other lesser sonneteers.
  14. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Now, that's harsh. :D
  15. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    I'm referring to the literary giants of high culture, not mere mortals like ourselves. So am I really being harsh? I know this appears arrogant but I honestly don't think I am.
  16. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    I imagine if Aurifex saw these above posts he'd be muttering words too foul for thread publication.

Edit: he might be right but I'd expect the burden of proof to lie with him because I can't find one decent english sonnet in the wake of the Big Man. And my knowledge on Elizabethan sonneteers is poor.
  17. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris

Obviously you haven't read McGonagall. :rolleyes:
    Hawkwood and Dantius like this.
  18. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    I do like other poets but from a sonnet perspective I don't see much movement in the ones I've read thus far. Perhaps I've grown to appreciate busier sonnets over slower paced ones. I just can't help but feel Shakespeare's sonnets knock all else for six.
  19. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    A young Marlowe looking rather dapper.

Christopher_Marlowe.jpg
    Terry S. likes this.
  20. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris
    Done in a spirit of friendship, since I don't understand what the poet is on about and therefore, don't really understand what I'm reading.

Attached Files:

Hawkwood likes this.