Short Latin Stories: Aeneas Arrives in Italy

By Anonymous, in 'Latin Beginners', Sep 18, 2008.

1. Anonymous Guest

Could anyone help me translate this 6 short Latin story?

For this story, I couldn't find it online, so I wrote it out here. I don't know how to add the accent marks, so I capitalized every letter that should have an accent mark. Some words should be capitalized, but aren't, because I didn't want anyone to confuse anyone over what should be seen as capitalized and what should be seen accented, so only accented letters are capitalized.

Aeneas Arrives in Italy

Olim in asiA erat urbs antIqua, quae troia appellAta est. eam urbem graecI decem annOs obsEdErunt tandemque cEpErunt. PriamO rEge fIliIsque interfectIs, urbem dElEvErunt. Sed aenEAs, quI inter clArissimOs dEfEnsOrEs urbis fuerat, cum paucIs comitibus ex urbe effUgit; cum profugOs ex omnibus partibus coEgisset, in italiam migrAre cOnstituit.

post septem annOs vEnit in eam partem italiae ubi erat urbs laurentem. ibi cum troiAnI praedam ex agrIs agerent, latInus rEx aborIginEsque, quI ea loca tenEbant, agrOs dEfendere parAvErunt. sed latInus, postquam in colloquiO orIginem multitUdinis ducisque cognOvit, pAcem cum aenEA fEcit atque posteA eI lAvIniam fIliam in mAtrimOnium dedit. troiAnI urbem condidErunt, quam aenEAs ab nOmine uxOris lAvInium appellAvit.

deinde Turnus, rEx rutulOrum, cui lAvInia ante adventum aenEae dEspOnsa erat, bellO latInum troiAnOsque agressus est. victI sunt rutulI, sed victOrEs ducem latInum AmIsErunt. inde turnus auxilium petiit ab estrUscIs, quI tOtam italiam fAmA nOminis suI implEverant; illI metuentEs novam urbem multitUdine opibusque crEscentem laetI auxilium tulErunt. aenEAs in tantO discrImine, ut aborIginEs troiAnOsque sub eOdem iUre atque nOmine habEret, latInOs utramque gentem appellAvit. cum adversus etrUscOs sE moenibus dEfendere posset, tamen in aciem cOpiAs EduXit. etrUscI victI sunt; victOrEs tamen ducem ut anteA AmIsErunt; post pugnam enim aenEam reperIre nOn potuErunt; multI igitur eum ad deOs trAnsIsse crEdidErunt.
  2. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris
    This isn't homework? The general policy here is not to just translate blocks of Latin text from textbooks (as this appears to be), for obvious reasons. If you need help with homework we can definitely assist you, but it will require some effort on your part.

This is very simple Latin. Can you at least make an effort to translate some of it? Just do what you can; it doesn't need to be correct as we'll help you fix it. I'll start you off:

Olim [once upon a time] in Asia [in Asia] erat [was] urbs antiqua [an ancient city], quae [which] Troia [Troy] appellata est [was called].

"Once upon a time there was an ancient city in Asia which was called Troy."
  3. Anonymous Guest

You've got it all wrong, it's not homework. It'll just help me for a test. Please, I'm begging you. I'm very deficient in Latin and need this help.
  4. Anonymous Guest

I'm learning Latin - and this is about the level I'm at, so I'll have a go.

Once upon a time in Asia there was an ancient city called Troy. - see Imber Ranae's post.

Her city Greece ten years (obsederunt - verb in 3rd person perfect) and together captured. - literally. Her and city are in the accusative, and I don't know what obsederunt means. However I'd imagine: 'Ten years ago, Greece captured her city.' Something along those lines.

Priamo rege filiisque interfectis, urbem deleverunt. - Priam (a historically known figure) king (in the ablative) son and killed, city destroyed. I'm guessing: "Priam killed the king with his son, and destroyed the city."

Sed aeneas, quI inter clarissimos defensores urbis fuerat, cum paucis comitibus ex urbe effugit; cum profugos ex omnibus partibus coegisset, in italiam migrare constituit.
    But Aeneas (possibly a name), who was in the distinguished defenses of the city, when a few committed and fled the city; with profugos? from all the parts coegisset?, decided to move to Italy.

That's the first paragraph, fairly badly translated, I must say.
  5. QMF Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    That's...pretty bad, fancover, I'm sorry to say. Let me try and fix your mistakes:
    Eam here means "that" roughly. Obsederunt means "besieged", and -que is as always "and." "decem annos" is a construction meaning "for ten years"; the accusative is used for duration of time. Hence you have:
    The Greeks besieged that city for ten years and at last captured it.

For the next sentence, you have an ablative absolute construction. When two nouns or a noun and an adjective (especially a participle) are in the ablative and a different noun is the subject of the sentence, this is called an ablative absolute construction, and it describes the circumstances surrounding the main verb of the sentence. These can be easily (albeit often clunkily) translated as "with x being/doing/having done/etc. y." So here you have:
    With Priam being king and his sons having been killed, they destroyed the city.

Sed aeneas, quI inter clarissimos defensores urbis fuerat, cum paucis comitibus ex urbe effugit; cum profugos ex omnibus partibus coegisset, in italiam migrare constituit.
    Fuerat is pluperfect and here the second cum is being used to refer to when the coegisset happened. Hence you have:
    But Aeneas, who had been among the greatest (roughly) defenders of the city, fled out of the city with a few comrades; when he had brought the exiles from all parts (not sure what this implies...), he decided to move to (literally into) Italy.

In general we don't do homework-type assignments (even though this isn't homework per se it basically is) without some attempt by the one assigned the homework, so I'm not going to go any further and would ask that others do the same.
  6. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris
    Just to add to what QMF said: eam, by itself, usually means simply "her" (or "it" when referring to a previously mentioned feminine noun.) But whenever you see is/ea/id in close conjunction with a noun that agrees with it in case, gender and number, it functions as a weak demonstrative adjective, usually best translated into English as "that", though sometimes it's so weak you can even translate it with just the definite article "the". In a few cases (such as before a result clause) it means "such."
  7. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor

I think it means something like, "When he had gathered the refugees from all around"
  8. QMF Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Ah, I see what you mean. That makes sense.