Some help with a 1700s Latin translation.

By Patchouli, in 'Latin to English Translation', Jun 28, 2012.

1. Patchouli New Member

Hi! Worry not, since you'll notice this isn't homework (just something I'm interested in that another book cited) - But I cannot seem to find a translation of a selection from Wettstein's Prolegomena Ad Novi Testamenti. Thus I come to you, begging for help!

The selection, since it's from the 1700s, has many of the "long s" 's (where a long S is written similar to an 'f'), so I'll be providing a typed up (by me, so let's hope for no errors!) version of the selection as well as a link to it in google books so you can see the original source:

Typed up version (any paren. are added by me to either clarify, confuse, or confirm I don't know what I'm reading):

Neque hoc Argumentum a Grabio adeo infringitur, cum ostendit Patres etiam Nestorio antiquiores nonnulos B.

Virgini hoc adjectum tribuisse: Doctores enim, praesertim qui declamandi studio ducuntur, raro inusitata quaedam vocabula proferunt, at virgo (GREEK WORD) Cantico Ecclesiastico nunquam praefixisset (I can't tell if that is 'fixiflet, fixiffet, or fixisset) alium titulum ac solennem & pervulgatum.

Quod objicit porro Grabius, si iste Codex (I'm assuming he's referencing the Codex Alexandrinus) post tempora Euthalii Diaconi exaratus fuisset, habiturum etiam titulos Capitum in Actis & Epistolis, sicut habet titulos in Euangeliis, hoc plane non consequitur, quia auctoritas Eusebii Caesariensis Episcopi & utilitas Canonum ejus in prisca Ecclesia longe major fuit quam Euthalii Diaconi; id quod vel ex eo liquet, quod plerique omnes MSS. Codices cum vetustiores tum juniores constanter Titulos Eusebianos appositos habent, Euthaliana vero partitio in paucissimis occurrit. Hactenus de Antiquitate.

And the link to the text is: http://books.google.com/books?id=0v...nepage&q="Quod objicit porro Grabius"&f=false

(which hopefully takes you directly to the specific section)

Otherwise here is an image of the text in question: [IMG]

Thanks so much to anyone willing to do the dirty work for me (I've been striving, and I can deal with amateur Latin, but this is far beyond me).
  2. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    This is what I got from it, part one.

I would continue, but I didn't have as much time as I thought I did. I will get back to this if no one does.
  3. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    Just me, huh? I'm having a little trouble with καλλίγραφ@. On first inspection it looks like some form of καλλιγράφ- (which would have something to do with beautiful writing), but the accent is in the wrong place. Still, I'll translate it as "beautifully written" for the moment.

Well, my sister is here with her kids. Until next time!
  4. Cambrinus Member

καλλίγραφ@ is, in fact, καλλίγραφος i.e. the copyist. the adjectum (title) being discussed is της θεοτόκου (I looked at the previous paragraph).