"sometimes" according to Wheelock's

By tonyvella, in 'Latin Beginners', Aug 29, 2012.

1. tonyvella Member

The Horace sentence:
    Neque imperia semper petenda sunt neque semper accipienda; etiam deponenda non numquam.
    is translated in Wheelock's as:
    Neither should powers always be sought, nor should they always be accepted; sometimes they should even be set aside.

What in the Latin version gives the "sometimes" ?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Tony, it is somewhat a conceptual translation of "sometimes". Believe me, latin is a language that would be difficult to understand in a "verbatim ac literatim" form.
    non numquam - literally "not never" corresponding to "sometimes" as an adverb "sometimes" is described as "interdum" or "nonnumquam"/"nonnunquam"
    Last edited by Adrian, Aug 29, 2012
    Godmy and tonyvella like this.
  3. tonyvella Member

Thanks Adrian, I had a feeling that the "not never" was what gave the "sometimes" meaning except that Wheelock's in most cases only uses expressions and words that have been encountered and explained in previous chapters; thus a gradual build-up. However, once in a while, Wheelock's does come up with something completely new and un-met-with that gets me wondering whether I missed something important earlier on .. and I take nothing foregranted, after all, in a past life I have seen "Temporary Death Certificate" officially translated as "Certificate of Temporary Death".
  4. Adrian Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    No problem Tony. Glad to have been of any assistance to you. What can I say, this is Wheelock (personally I find it a very user-unfriendly study book, effective only as a material for guided formal course)
    "Certificate of Temporary Death"... Hm, that is indeed very interesting (from medical standpoint of course;)).
    Cura ut valeas Antoni!
  5. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris
    or aliquando.
    Adrian likes this.
  6. vagus New Member

I also tend to this version, since most Romance languages went by calqing "aliquando" in their respective forms. "nonnumquam" feels very ancient
  7. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    That’s a weird criterion. Nonnumquam is Classical.
  8. Godmy Sun monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Or interdum
  9. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris
    That's already been mentioned.
  10. Godmy Sun monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Ah, sorry... I've just skimmed over :confused: