News (Ancient) Spanish researchers find the exact spot where Julius Caesar was stabbed

By Pixie, in 'Latin Culture', Oct 16, 2012.

1. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    Several ancient Roman texts describe the assassination of Julius Caesar in Rome, at the Curia of Pompey in 44 BC, which was the result of a plot among a group of senators to eliminate the General. 2,056 years later, a team of researchers from the Spanish National Research Council has found the exact plot where the military man was stabbed.
    121010102158-large.jpg
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121010102158.htm
    Akela, Schatzl, Godmy and 2 others like this.
  2. Akela dat affluenter

• Princeps Senatus
    *typing with shaking hands* Forgetting the factor of the educated guess and all, this is still so exciting. What would I not give to see this spot in person.
  3. Arca Defectionis Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    O locum sanctum, o factum beatum!
  4. LesbiasSparrow New Member

it was one of the biggest thrills of my life.
    Akela likes this.
  5. Carolus Victor New Member

Oh almighty Caesar, even two millenniums after your death we will never forget you! Nor will we prevent ourselves from learning more about you.
    miguel likes this.
  6. Jeff Priest New Member

I wonder... :browaction1: wheter scientists could find DNA remains, and clone them...
    C for Cæsar!!!
  7. Ignis Umbra Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris
    There could very well be descendants of Caesar (through many many generations obviously) with his DNA.
  8. Abietis New Member

Salve!

Could exist any person in this world to be a descendant of Caesar and to KNOW this?
  9. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    Well, I know I'm a descendant of Julius Caesar.
    Matthaeus and Arca Defectionis like this.
  10. Abietis New Member

No kidding? Do you have any proof or is a story in your family?
  11. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Very interesting article. Thanks. So I'm descended from Charlemagne.
    That explains why I've always had delusional visions of grandeur. :D
    Aurifex likes this.
  12. Iosue New Member

Is this the same story where Cæesar said Et Tu Brute?
  13. jondesousa New Member

Sadly the area is now closed off and is run as a cat sanctuary for homeless cats. Imagine the sadness of seeing the place where a man as great as Caesar died only to find that it smells of cat urine. Very sad indeed. Below is a link to the cat sanctuary homepage.

http://www.romancats.com/index_eng.php
  14. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    I think it's a healthy sign. It suggests Italians are doing what they can to discourage personality cults; which, given mid-20th century Italian history, is not surprising.
    Arca Defectionis likes this.
  15. Sadly there can't be any straight downward line natural descendants of Julius Caesar. In any case we would be descendants of the father of Julius Caesar, Gaius Julius Caesar the Elder. Julia Caesaris (the daughter of Julius Caesar) had a son with Pompey, but died together with her at his birth in 54 BC. Caesarion (Ptolemy XV Philopator Caesar) had no children; was assassinated at 17 by his step-brother Octavianus in 30 BC. Finally, Octavianus (Augustus) was simply Julius Caesar's great-nephew adopted by him.
  16. LacrimæRerum New Member

Wow. It's so sad that I didn't know this when I went to Rome in 2013; but then I had no idea that I'll be fascinated by Rome like I am now.
  17. Tomer Active Member

I'm now sure to try and get a close look once in Rome.
  18. limetrees Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Also, every time you breathe, you breathe in 4 atoms of Caesar's last breath.
  19. SpanishOmelette New Member

Of course, you would simply have a man with Roman features that would simply live as he would live if any person was raised in this era.

Sorry to be nerdy.

Would love, however, to see that spot. Am of course, assuming there is no wax Caesar there...
  20. tim05000 Member

1) Of the several accounts of Caesar’s assassination, only one writer mentions Caesar saying something to Brutus. So he probably didn’t say it.
    2) If he did say ‘you too, Brutus?’, he said it in Greek (kai su) as per the account everyone’s referring to. Cultured Romans liked speaking Greek to their close associates.

Source: History Today magazine. I read the article months ago so I forget the exact words in Greek or who wrote it. Someone less influential than Shakespeare.