Spatia ex Deo

By cicero80, in 'Latin Beginners', Nov 14, 2017.

1. cicero80 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm a theological student and new in Latin. Need some advice.
    Correct or not: Spatia Ex Deo - Space that comes out from God
    Correct or not: Gratia Spatium Est - Grace is space
    If this two correct, then how to put into a complete sentence?
    What I'm trying to say is, "Grace is space that comes out from God toward human.."

Thank you very much for your advice.
  2. Araneus Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris
    What is the meaning of 'space' here? Can you elaborate that? The word you are looking for might well be spatium, but I can't see how that makes any sense.
  3. cicero80 New Member

Thanks for your reply.

Space as a "dimensional space" and not space as "outer space".
    Space as in the sentence "we tend to exclude some people from public space since their not fit in the community".

For comparison, one theologian, Moltmann, used the word "vacatio Deo" to describe that "God makes space for his creation by withdrawing his presence." So the primordial space vacated out of God's self.

I hope I explain well.

Thanks
  4. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    Space as in 'a three dimensional medium in which a three dimensional object can exist' can be covered by spatium.

Space as in 'public space' is more tricky. Cicero uses the phrase spatia commúnia (Rep. 1.41.7) but this is its only instance. locí commúnés is in Cic. In Verrem 2.2.112.4, 2.4.2.7, De Domo Sua 111.8, In Vatinium 15.4-5, and in Vitruvius De Architectura 1.1.10.6 and passim. I think it's probably the most idiomatic way of saying it; there is the disadvantage that it can have a technical meaning in oratory, but this shouldn't be a problem here.

However, this is literally 'public space' - ie., a physical location. It cannot be used in the more abstract, modern meaning of 'public space', which becomes a metaphor for community interaction. I think.

vacátió means being free from a duty or service. I'm not quite sure how this applies to a god, but perhaps it's a Medieval meaning, or maybe Moltmann was simply not being precise.

Maybe: grátia spatium quoddam est, quod deus hominibus praebet, cum ipse sé retrahit.
    'Grace is a sort of space, which God provides for mankind, when He withdraws Himself'.