Stamp in William Blake Book

By wykepar, in 'Latin to English Translation', Jul 10, 2019.

1. wykepar New Member

5989BCC6-BDC0-4D7A-B319-9273DD2FB89B.jpeg 5989BCC6-BDC0-4D7A-B319-9273DD2FB89B.jpeg I recently bought a book of William Blake’s poems and it has this red stamp. Could anyone translate to English please. Thanks
  2. wykepar New Member

I recently found a book of William Blake’s poetry with this red stamp on the title page. Can anyone please offer a translation. Thanks

Attached Files:

3. Hemo Rusticus Tom Bombadillo

• Civis Illustris
    Hmm, given the resolution of the picture, I'm unable to say for sure. But I might hazard that the anchor itself is supposed to be a big u/v, so that we get:

VALDE CRESCIT(?) ANGLUS 'The Englishman flourishes much.' or something such (or if we have NESCIT 'he is powerfully ignorant', although I can't remember whether Blake held his countrymen in such contempt)

Might you just type the words yourself as you see them?
  4. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I take it that the OP is referring to the text in red, as he refers to the stamp both here and in the duplicate thread, which should be merged by someone with the power to do so. And, you know, I can't read it either, so it will have to wait for someone who can.

The dolphin/anchor text is just the logo of the publisher Pickering & Chatto: ALDI DISCIP. ANGLUS, 'an English disciple of Aldus'. More information and a clearer picture at https://margarytas.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/the-aldine-dolphin-and-anchor/
    Gregorius Textor likes this.
  5. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Done.

I can't read the stamp either. I can't even tell for sure if it's Latin.
  6. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris
    I guessed that it might be German, but if you didn't make sense of it, I doubt it. Is that an umlaut over a 'u' in ?Repruit?
  7. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I think you've got something there. Though it's perhaps more likely to be Geprüft ('checked' in some way). The internet tells me that Fraktur is modelled on Carolingian minuscule, and they're certainly both typefaces that seem to be more concerned with creating pretty pictures than communicating a message, which has always irritated me. A better image might help; the anchor text was fuzzy as well.
    Last edited by Etaoin Shrdlu, Jul 11, 2019
    Gregorius Textor and Pacifica like this.
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It does look very much like it.
  9. Wow, good eye. I wouldn't have guessed that was an umlaut.
  10. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
  11. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    I thought it was based on textura. Both are very different from Carolingian minuscule, which was designed to be easily read.
  12. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackletter

What's the evidence that Carolingian minuscule was designed to be easily read? I'm not disputing this; I find this sort of thing interesting, but I know pretty much nothing about it.
  13. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    LOL. It is developed from Carolingian miniscule to the same degree that we are developed from lizards.

Carolingian miniscule was developed at the behest of Charlemagne during the Carolingian renaissance to retain the knowledge of the ancients. The scripts at the time were almost illegible and he wanted something that people could read.

Our script is directly developed from Carolingian minuscule, because the renaissance writers imitated it when developing the Humanist minuscule, believing it to the the script of the Romans.
  14. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
  15. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    And here is an example of one of the scripts it was replacing.
  16. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Well, it's a step in the right direction.

Any idea what the middle word, or possibly abbreviation, is, Bitmap? It's bugging me.
  17. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Etaoin Shrdlu likes this.
  18. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Interesting. PG Wodehouse was interned there.