Status Thread

By Godmy, in 'Non-Latin Talk', Sep 23, 2017.

1. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Since the showing of the statuses on the main page stopped working about one year ago (at least for all CIs) and is not used like that anymore, let's use this thread instead. You post what your status is and you have more guarantee that somebody reads it than if it stays hidden on your profile page. In case the thread is not going to be clogged with conversations (those can move to your actual profile page), you can also use the "Observe the thread" function to get notifications. Iohannes Aurum, do you think it would be possible / good for the thread if it was stickied? I noticed this section has no sticky threads so far and this one should be quite useful.

Nothing too interesting happening in my place.
    Last edited by Godmy, Sep 23, 2017
    Terry S. likes this.
  2. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris
    I'll kick off.

The academic year has begun. The students are back. Eight months to go...
    Godmy likes this.
  3. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Just one more week for the first month of school! Overall I prefer my teachers this year over the ones last year.
    Godmy and Terry S. like this.
  4. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Godmy

It's now stickied.

Toronto Blue Jays fan here. I'm going to watch baseball tomorrow at the Rogers Centre.
    Godmy likes this.
  5. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Plans for tonight. Shower and video editing.
    Godmy and Terry S. like this.
  6. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Turned out that I didn't get to go to the baseball game. It was sold out for four reasons: final home game of the season + the New York Yankees being the visitors + Blue Jays veteran José Bautista's potentially final home game as a Blue Jay + sleeved blanket giveaway.

The Blue Jays won 9–5 over the Yankees.
  7. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Although I don't follow baseball, that sentence made sense to me up till the final three words.
  8. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Do you have the option of a season ticket at the Blue Jays? I imagine it costs a fortune for a seat all season for a top north american baseball club, if the NFL is anything to go by anyway.
  9. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    I intentionally worded it to resemble the classic "Arson, murder, and jaywalking" formulation.

Yes. It's much more expensive than a season ticket for an NFL game for the simple fact that an MLB team has 81 home games in the regular season and an NFL team has only eight home games in the regular season. Both NHL and NBA teams have 41 home games in their respective regular seasons.

I don't have a Jays season ticket, because it would cost an arm and a leg.
  10. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Hmm, 81 home games. It sounds like a long season with at least three games per week.

Edit: in fact and off the top of my head that would be just over 3 games per week for a full 12 months (home and away with no breaks). Seems like overkill, to me.
    Last edited by Hawkwood, Sep 26, 2017
  11. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    In Major League Baseball, February and March are for Spring Training, which is essentially pre-season. From the beginning of April to the end of September, it's the regular season. From the beginning of October to the beginning of November, it's the playoffs.

Almost every day during the regular season does a team play a game. Pitching baseballs is much more of a strain on the arm than bowling cricket balls, which is why every team usually has five starting pitchers and several relief pitchers, with the starting pitchers rotating each day.
    Hawkwood likes this.
  12. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Interesting. I'll have a look now.
  13. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    So, I just became an uncle now thanks to my sister! :) (that's my new "status")
    Last edited by Godmy, Sep 27, 2017
  14. Terry S. flamen

• Civis Illustris
    Better than being a peduncle.
    Hawkwood likes this.
  15. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Congratulations, uncle Godmy!
  16. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Is it a coincidence that two comments in the past few days have used the word "peduncle"?
  17. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I figured Terry had read Etaoin's post and that was the reason he referred to that word here.
    Terry S. likes this.
  18. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    That's what I thought was most likely, but I wasn't sure.
  19. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Terry will tell us, I guess.
  20. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Thanks everybody, my sister has a daughter! :)
    Terry S. and Hawkwood like this.
Tags: status