"Strength and Honor"

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', Mar 1, 2007.

1. Anonymous Guest

"Strength and Honor"

My brothers and I are getting tattoos in honor of our late father. We all shared a deep love for the movie "Gladiator" and this was what was said while they would salute. I'm really hoping to get the correct translation so I don't end up permanently marking someone's joke for something this important to us. Also if it is not asking too much, I would be most appreciative of how it would be pronounced.

Thank You
  2. Andy Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Well, you'll get many takes on this, so let other suggestions come in before you make the decision.

My take:

Virtus et Honor

Perhaps in the Roman case: VIRTVS·ET·HONOR
  3. Per the translation of Gladiator into Latin (Yes, it was translated and can be found here: Gladiator Latine) I go with:

Vis et Honor
  4. QMF Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Usually that word's nominative is honos.
  5. Andy Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    So cool, thanks Publius Nonius!
  6. vmsanta New Member

Ok this is an old post but would like to ask if "Virtus et Honor" is correct.

I know that the last take was Vis et Honor but I kinda like the Virtus et Honor one better and want to make sure that it is in fact correct and that yall didnt dissmis it as being wrong and Vis being the correct one.

Thanks for the help
  7. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    yes, it works
  8. vmsanta New Member

thanks bitmap
  9. Niko New Member

Following on the same previous post, I would also like to confirm a different translation. I hope this post isn't too old.

Does "Viribus et Honorem" work? Also, would want to know if it should be "Viribus et Honoris" instead of "Honorem"? Does the difference in the word honor change the meaning?

I do like the other translations, I just thought it would be nice to have the full word of strength in there, instead of just Vis. I also thought Viribus sounded better than Virtus, which I thought of as power instead of strength.

Thanks in advance! :)
  10. AoM nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris
    Slight change to vires et honor.