Studia humanitatis

By Paul17, in 'Latin Beginners', Jan 13, 2019.

1. Paul17 New Member

Help pls. I want to use the phrase studia humanitatis as the subject (nominative) of a sentence. The rest of the sentence will be in English, so something like this: "Studia humanitatis is a Latin phrase which means ..."

I came across the phrase in a scholarly text, so I want to assume the Latin phrase is correct. See attached image. But I don’t understand why studia is expressed in the nominative plural, but humanitatis is in the genitive singular. To a non-Latin speaker like me, it ought to be studia humanitates - both words in the nominative plural.
    Can you confirm the correct usage? Thx

Attached Files:

2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    humanitatis is in the genitive singular because it is translated with "of". Very literally, it's something like "studies of/for humanitas". Putting both nouns in the same case wouldn't make sense, in the same way that the English sentence "He was led astray by his love money" is nonsense, but "He was led astray by his love for money" makes sense.
  3. Paul17 New Member

Very helpful. Thank you Dantius.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Well, it could make sense in some specific context. For example, if a man had become rich by marrying a rich woman, and then started doing crazy things with his wealth. :D Of course, it doesn't make the same kind of sense as "He was led astray by his love for money", and in Latin you couldn't juxtapose "love" and "money" like that without "love" being in the genitive.